Need some guidance with Neo. Brichardi/Pulcher Plz

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
I don't know. I mean, if it's water related you'd see it in the test results. My guess is that you got a batch of poisoned fish. Find out what they've been eating before you got them.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
So my stupid filter decides to turn off for some odd reason while I was out of town for 2 days...Lots of deaths =( I was thinking I would take this time and completely change the tank. I need new gravel, should I go with sand or crushed coral?
Just reread this thread... here you mention fish deaths coupled with the loss of your filtration. This was after your rescape, no? I would be highly surprised if you experience no cycling at all seeing how your filter shut down for 48 hours. Did you have an aerator on while the filter was down? Were the fish deaths due to lack of oxygen or ammonia poisoning? Some of the bacteria would survive the 48 hours ( mostly the anaerobic ones ), but after already affecting them with the rescape I'd suspect the loss of filtration = lack of bio- filtration = ammonia spike = dead fish = even more ammonia.
Your params may look fine to you now ( how old is your kit? ), but you may have still experienced a spike in ammonia or nitrite over those few days with no bio filtration. After reconnecting your filters the params may have returned to normal fairly quickly given a decent bacteria colony still in the filter. The effects of ammonia poisoning can take awhile but often result in death. Any flashing? Ammonia- 0, Nitrite- 0, right? Anything above 0 is not good.

vai1296

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
I think you are right Afro, I do believe its because of the filter. I did have an aerator in the tank, its always on. It is weird to me because the big 4 pulcher and brichardi were the ones that got effected. Now all 4 are dead along with a smaller pulcher. The rest of the pulcher/brichardi are all fine (6 of them all 1.5" about).

vai1296

AC Members
Jun 14, 2010
It's just not my month. I may need some tech savvy assistance for this one now lol. The Rena FilStar XP4 has another problem now! The impeller is fine I ended up getting a new one and now the little cover disc looking thing that goes over the impeller, doesn't quite fit correctly. It stays a bit opened, not a very snug fit like its supposed to be. I googled like 5 hrs trying to figure out what that piece is called and I tried to search for parts for the filter and I had no luck. The filter is not spitting out water now. If i unplug it and let it sit for a few seconds till the canister fills up with water from the 2 hoses, and then turn it back on, it starts spitting out the water like normal for like 1-2 seconds and then it stops spitting again. So frustrated right now =(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store