New 90L Betta Barracks...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
mmm , seems lotsa things goin on in here ..
luckydud13 if u wanna load ur tank with more than bettas ( as u said breeding project )
i would go for sump idea , much better filtering :)

ghengis

cunninglinguist
Jun 23, 2008
Cairns, Australia.
Right-o.

So I decided to flag the flooring underlay angle. I've had a small portion sitting in four inches of water for about four days and there isn't a thing, structurally, wrong with it. Im confident that it'd hold up for an extended period in water, no probs, but I have no way of testing for what it could leach into that water.... One less risk to worry over.

Did bugger all last week, but got a little done on the weekend...

Holes drilled into PVC "T".

...these actually have fittings siliconed in place, now, but don't have a pic of that...

Uptake tubes. Note renegade hole on the completed one. This was pulled apart and re-done, along with the others.

As I said, the underlay has been turfed. It it's place, the venerable black plastic folder covers

...cut and siliconed in place. Only used minimal silicone here, just to tack the pieces down. They'll be properly stuck later...

...actually, that isn't the "siliconed in place" pic, but nevermind. You get the idea ;)

As well as doing all that, yesterday, I decided to glue the rear panel in place. Once again, I tried doing this myself. Without tape. Lemme tell ya, black silicone DEMANDS that one use tape. It was a mess. After ripping that out again, and spending last night cleaning up the glass (again), I measured everything properly and ran guide tape in the appropriate areas.

I also found a spare pair of hands, which just happen to be far prettier than my own. Thanks, babe! ;)

I'll let the tank sit overnight and order the divider glass tomorrow...

That's all folks! Back soon :)

ghengis

cunninglinguist
Jun 23, 2008
Cairns, Australia.
...there was actually one more thing...

This is what I came up with for the filter outlets. This is totally experimental, for now. Instead of a spray-bar arrangement, I'm
trialling a pair of 90* elbows. Crude, yes, but I'm hoping also effective.

Closer...

Picture, if you can, short lengths of clear rubber hose jointing the black fittings at the bottom. Hopefully this demonstrates how the
filtration will work. The horizontal of the "T", btw, is full of bio-balls. The vertical section, coarse, then dense, filter media.

The uptake tubes.

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Lookin great ghengis, been thinkin alot and I think I will but a premade one, it won't be the exact same size.

That t that you made is the spraybar correct? I like the idea so far.

I agree with the whole sump idea and how it doesn't get the hard to reach places like the bottom.

dvanv

AC Members
Aug 17, 2006
Great looking tank.......can't wait to see the finished product. You will have some lucky bettas moving in soon.

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
hi :)
looks really cool so far, wish i had some space left for somethin like that or i would send my betta to u to live in that heaven if i could :)) , good luck , we r hell awaitin more

ghengis

cunninglinguist
Jun 23, 2008
Cairns, Australia.
OK, boys and girls. Time for an update.... Started out on Wednesday by (finally) ordering the glass for the dividers, along with some more PVC sheet and binder covers (thanks Woolworths!)

Glass, PVC and binders

The result. The black area will conceal a plant in each barrack and also provide a hiding place at flaring time.

A quick mock-up

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store