Opinions of BP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
All the ones that I have seen have had trouble with handling current, but maybe I haven't found a place that sells BPs that should not have been culled--especially since I've only seen them at chain stores like the Pet* Twins. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that were true, and I thank you for explaining yourself in response to my misinformed statement (which, incidentally, was not from GER, but instead from several Pet* Twin employees).

JimG

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Ames IA
Visit site
Originally posted by ChilDawg
All the ones that I have seen have had trouble with handling current, but maybe I haven't found a place that sells BPs that should not have been culled--especially since I've only seen them at chain stores like the Pet* Twins. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if that were true, and I thank you for explaining yourself in response to my misinformed statement (which, incidentally, was not from GER, but instead from several Pet* Twin employees).
You are most certainly welcome. Current in a pet store tank? If the blood parrots (or any other fish) couldn't handle the kind of current I have seen in pet store holding tanks they must be half dead. Actually I was responding to GER's post about 'all blood parrots' having deformities. I guess if you called, for example, angelfish deformed cichlids because they have unusual traits (including strange swim bladders due to their lateral thinness) when compared to other cichlids you could then state 'all angelfish are deformed'. But this isn't true obviously because this is normal for an angelfish. I maintain a deformity has to be detrimental to its owner and by definiton has to be an abnormal formation for the kind of animal the individual is who has it. An angelfish's swimbladder would be abnormal for a red devil (and incidentally I have seen angelfish bounced around by currents other cichlids aren't affected by). What is the blood parrot swim bladder being compared to call it abnormal?

Look all I am saying is if you just don't like BPs then don't buy them and in such a thread as this just say you don't like them. But don't conjure 'rational' reasons why you don't like them meant to make you feel somehow morally superior to those who do because utimately the reason you don't like them is a matter of taste and not rational. There are good reasons for not buying deformed fish, don't buy a BP which can't swim or eat just like you wouldn't buy any other fish that can't.

Cheers and Blessings :)

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Okay, then, I will stick to the true facts from now on...and do a little more research, I guess!

oscarlvr

AC Members
Dec 19, 2001
Edmonton, Alta
ive seen the result between female bp and male pink convict, thats were the jelly bean parrort comes from before the dye job, ive never seen them with no tail like that other than books, i wonder if its clipped at birth, but either way i would not own one, my ex wife has a 46g bowfront with 6 bp and she loves them, but to each their own

Bob

Lila

Boston!
Oct 9, 2002
MI, USA
My daughter has two in a 40 gal. I don't care for them. But, since they have grown bigger, I find them a little more attractive. They are strong and good swimmers. She has never had a problem with them either.

Would I buy them? No. But, if other people like them, I can't stop them. I don't feel I'm better than anyone that likes them.

The flowerhorn, I find to be a very ugly fish. Many people will pay thousands of dollars for them. Hey, that is their chioce.

redeye

AC Members
Apr 25, 2003
atlantis
Visit site
because the fish is man made i believe it will be a weak species and will dissapear . When the fish can no longer choose breeding partners the genes become weak .... bet this breed goes belly up real easy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store