Oscar...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Southern Rebel

AC Members
Apr 28, 2012
True it is more than a fish.... :) the price wasn't anything compared to the friendship and joy ill get out of having my new friend :D

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
I read the PM, when they get to the pet stores they arrive in big trucks, they keep them in cages in the trucks.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
actually, they ship reptiles just like fish... except they dont put them in baggies like fish are. but they are in a box like fish are shipped.. so no, they dont keep them in cages. ( sorry for off topic ) and congrats OP

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
They arrive at the store as small juvies in baggies like any other fish. I have but yet to see one in a cage! Maybe on Nibiuru they are in cages but on Earth they aren't. The LFS receives them from UPS trucks, don't know what petco does but all I ever saw there was baggies.

Thats a nice Oscar, he looks meaner than the petco kind, if he's wild that means it probably came from a river in south America. How much was it? Be prepared, generally the wild version of a fish get bigger.
Being F0 doesn't mean it will be larger. Size is dictated by it's genes and it environment including food. I have raised some store bought ones to 15" and others to only 12". Markings of being a wild type has nothing to do with personality. Just becase one is meaner really means nothing and there is no way to gauge what kind of personality it will have. Some of them change once it becomes breeding age while others don't.

Last edited:

Southern Rebel

AC Members
Apr 28, 2012
Thanks all, just got sand in my tank, for substrate and a piece of driftwood, pics to come soon...also what temp does it need to be at for oscars? And the heater I got now is a 150 watt I think..is that okay? Ty (btw the fish isn't arriving until next week wed or thurs...got lfs in town if I need to get bigger heater:))

Last edited:

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I keep all my tanks at 78F which causes them to grow just a slight bit slower but increases life span.

Heater should be used at the rate of 3 watts per gallon for steady room temps and 5 watts per gallon for drafty or fluctuating room temps

For a regular diet I use Ken's Premium Cichlid Floating Pellet 7.5mm and then I get small bits of hot dogs, flies, night crawlers, ants, dwarf shrimp culls and endler/guppy culls etc as a rare treat. I do not feed live foods as a steady diet.

Southern Rebel

AC Members
Apr 28, 2012
Yep all about it :) I've had 4 tanks prior this....I'm using tetra safestart few days before I get the fish...checking water daily..it should cycle in a week or so :D

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
I didn't even know you could ship large reptiles like that, that's animal abuse. At least fish can upright themselves in water and keep the right temp.
I would hardly consider a Bearded Dragon a "large Reptile" and most are shipped as babies.

At least fish can upright themselves in water and keep the right temp.
Yea, that Oscar can control the temperature in the shipping box and right himself if tipped. That poor bearded dragon cant control the temps and it if lands on its back it is doomed..

**** dude, are you listening to yourself?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store