Personable Fish for a 45 Gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrimsonBlush

Attemping to post rather than lurk
Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
crimsonblush.deviantart.com
Real Name
Miah
I have had my blood parrot for several years now. She is great. Just like a little puppy show her her can of food and she comes running to her corner where I feed her. The tank could be full of brine shrimp or flake and she still comes running. They definitely have personalities. And they definitely know who feeds them. I walk up to the tank and she does her little dance and stranger walks up and she goes and hides. I have a 125 gal cichlid tank and she is my favorite. I will never be without a blood parrot. In fact, thinking of getting a couple more. At one time I had 3 of them in a 46 euro and they did absolutely fine. They all had their "spots" and really never had any aggression problems. Good luck with your decision!!
Thanks for the reply! Nice to hear from another BP owner! They sound like such personable fish! I'm not really sure size a 46 euro is though.

tcbrd

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
A 46 gal euro is comparable to your 45. It just has a bow front. So I don't think you would have a problem having more than one. I didn't have a problem. I guess it would depend on the fish. Get them young and let them grow together.

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
Oh, ok! You should be able to do a 6" fish without issue. I was thinking you wanted something about 1'.
Yeah, that's rather too large. ;)

A 46 gal euro is comparable to your 45. It just has a bow front. So I don't think you would have a problem having more than one. I didn't have a problem. I guess it would depend on the fish. Get them young and let them grow together.
Hmm...I wish they weren't so variable.

Any thoughts on a couple of goldfish?

slipgate

AC Members
Mar 4, 2010
I have a 46g bowfront with 7 goldfish around 4-5" each. They follow everyone around when they come up to the tank and will eat out of your hand. Very hardy as well.

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
Wow, Geos looks amazing! Difficult to find though!

Cute goldies! Do they seem to have enough room int here?

CrimsonBlush

Jun 15, 2008
Twin Cities
Real Name
Miah
I think I'm probably going to go with the parrot. Any low bio-load tank mate suggestions?

Jill-O

All American Girl (all grown up)
BP's are one of my favorites! So cute (look like living cartoons) and lots of personality!!!

Sheamus71

AC Members
Aug 31, 2011
I like the idea of getting two young BP's and when they get large then upgrade to a larger tank. But I think if it were me I'd go get me two oranda goldfish, they have about the same personality as the BP's. With orandas you have more options with pattern/color variations. They are oh so fun!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store