Pita the RBTA....Brenda any ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BrendaF

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Sorry it took me so long to find this thread. It has been a busy weekend!

What is the temperature? I do recommend increasing salinity to 1.026. You can do this by gradually topping off with pre-mixed saltwater.

Your magnesium is a bit low. Are you having trouble maintaining calcium and alkalinity?

Two 250 watt MH is a WHOLE lot of lighting for a standard 55 gallon tank. I would raise those lights back up to where you had them. How long are you running your lights?

Silversides is an excellent food for anemones. However, all anemones will not eat them. I would try small portions of mysis shrimp, or krill.

Skip the contraption to hold this anemone in place! This is about as stressful as keeping me locked up during a local frag swap! HeeHee!

As for those Hydor Koralia’s they are extremely dangerous to have with anemones.

How bad is your aiptasia problem? These may be stinging the RBTA. I’d start nuking them with some boiling hot water.

Are the clownfish hosting the anemone? Are the shrimp bothering the anemone?

Are you fresh running carbon? If not, I would start doing so with that mix of coral.

This picture has me concerned:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1119074&postcount=175

I would have never tried to feed an anemone while still in the bag. I’m wondering is you are feeding too big of portions. I always recommend feeding portions smaller than the anemone’s mouth. This is for Healthy anemones. Unhealthy anemones, need much smaller portions.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Sorry it took me so long to find this thread. It has been a busy weekend!
No problem, appreciate you getting to it when you could.

What is the temperature? I do recommend increasing salinity to 1.026. You can do this by gradually topping off with pre-mixed saltwater.
78-80, with it being 78 more often than not this time of year. I can easily bump the SG from 1.025 to 1.026

Your magnesium is a bit low. Are you having trouble maintaining calcium and alkalinity?
I was, and then started a 2 part solution and it has been great since. The magnesium was where I was attempting to get it to based off a collegue of Randy Holmes-Farley's recommendation when he met with my reef club.

Two 250 watt MH is a WHOLE lot of lighting for a standard 55 gallon tank. I would raise those lights back up to where you had them. How long are you running your lights?
Yeah, I know but the corals have been thriving. I'll move them back up though. They are running 10 hours a day with good coral growth.

Silversides is an excellent food for anemones. However, all anemones will not eat them. I would try small portions of mysis shrimp, or krill.
It was gobbling small pieces of silversides for the first 10 weeks or so. Growing and such. But I'll see if I can get it to eat some mysis.

Skip the contraption to hold this anemone in place! This is about as stressful as keeping me locked up during a local frag swap! HeeHee!
Lol, I only did that as a last ditch effort to get some sleep but it never stayed on very long.

As for those Hydor Koralia’s they are extremely dangerous to have with anemones.
I've been amazed how it hasn't gotten harmed from them frankly.

How bad is your aiptasia problem? These may be stinging the RBTA. I’d start nuking them with some boiling hot water.
I thought I had beaten them but they've returned. They are very small, not huge at all. The good news is that I think one of the 5 peppermints is finally sampling them. I've tried a multitude of cures for them and the best so far has been Joe's Juice.

Are the clownfish hosting the anemone? Are the shrimp bothering the anemone?
No, the clowns ignore it. I haven't seen the shrimp bothering it except for one single time back in October when one of the Skunks was trying to steal food.

Are you fresh running carbon? If not, I would start doing so with that mix of coral.
I run it via a canister filter whenever I make a change such as adding a new coral. I hadn't been running it 24/7. But interesting that you mentioned it because I was wondering yesterday if it could help with the rbta.

This picture has me concerned:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1119074&postcount=175

I would have never tried to feed an anemone while still in the bag. I’m wondering is you are feeding too big of portions. I always recommend feeding portions smaller than the anemone’s mouth. This is for Healthy anemones. Unhealthy anemones, need much smaller portions.

I didn't feed it when it was in the bag. The LFS had fed it for me at the store and it still had some in it's mouth.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I'd definately second raising your lights. What amazes me is that everywhere states that anemones need good lighting, yet mine has picked on of the darkest corners in my tank and is thriving. It is still in the light but not as much as I'd have thought it would have have wanted. And just to rub it in even more, mine still hasn't moved!!!:lipssealedsmilie:

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
Thanks Salty. How is the foot on your's? Still stretching?
no actually, i went lights out for a couple days to deal with my red slime outbreak and the nem migrated one rock over. that's the only time (shouldn't be saying this) it's ever moved. glad it did tho now it's front and center and not stretching at all. but godzilla has basically forced my hand (and wallet) and now here i am buying supplies for my brand new (used) 75 gallon tank...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store