planting?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
i can guarentee you that any plant sold on black jungle would be okay in ther. post the link to the peperomia, i cant find it

dabruno

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
it isnt actually found on black jungle but on the site it said that some are epiphytic so i looked it up and found that "peperomia rotundifolia" is an epiphitical vine.

dabruno

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
oh....
well i have all the plant plans ready i think except for the moss for the slate ... im still not sure about that?
here's the list::
. lots of tillandsia!!
. baby tears for water
. anubias nana for water and some on land section by waterfall
. water hyacinth or water lettuce?
. wild caught mosses for the background(how would i plant it on there?)
. creeping fig for background
. maybe a small epiphytical brom
. anything i find interesting that works and is easy for me to get

haha i just found the color changer...

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
If you have a sheet-forming moss, you can pin it to the background with small pieces of wire bent to form 'staples'. Other types of mosses are difficult to attach directly to the background. Here's a trick that some people use to grow moss on stumps; I'm not sure how well it would work in your vivarium:

Find a moss you like that has ripe sporangia (these are the brown fruit-like structures held on stalks above the moss). Place the moss (or just pick the sporangia and place those) in a blender with some buttermilk or beer. Blend. Brush the mixture on the areas where you want moss to grow. Keep moist. You should get moss in a few weeks.

I would use water lettuce rather than water hyacinth; the hyacinth puts up tall bloom stalks and will overcrowd your tank. I think the lettuce is easier for frogs to crawl onto as well.

dabruno

AC Members
Jun 11, 2007
thank you i will get some of the water lettuce
most mosses are sheet forming moss right?
also what kinds of moss grow well on slate ? i would like to get that planted too
i want something that it full and will stay low and is not going to get trampled on by the frogs. i dont want anything coming up out of the moss

Notophthalmus

Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
No, most mosses are not sheet-forming. Sheet mosses will come up in a big piece when you pull them up, like sod; other mosses will crumble apart. The sheet moss in my area has fern-like fronds about 1" long; there are other sheet mosses in different areas. You can also order sheet mosses from various places.

Sheet moss or liverwort will probably be your best bet for the slate; you can hot glue the sheet moss on (just a few dabs of glue). To start your liverwort you will just have to find a rock with a bunch growing on it already (look along the edges of small woodland creeks) and place it beside the slate; eventually the liverwort will spread onto the slate. Some liverworts have broad flat thalloi, while others look like glossy mosses.

Notophthalmus

Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
I think it would be fine. Just be sure it's planted above the water line, so the soil can drain a bit; you want the soil around the ficus' roots to stay moist but not soggy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store