plants feel pain

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
if anyone is interested the espisode of mythbuster where they test if plants feel pain is comin on now on discovery channel....enjoy....jm1212 u beat me to it, im watchin tht and cowboys game lol

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
So do you guys think it helps plant health when you talk to them? A lot of people here who are into gardening talk to their plants. :rolleyes:

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
khombre said:
So do you guys think it helps plant health when you talk to them? A lot of people here who are into gardening talk to their plants. :rolleyes:
it's actually quite controversial, and garden loving green-thumbs have been debating it for ages. I used to be on the it doesn't help side, but after hearing this, I think it may just do something for them....

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Actually, it wasn't proven--they couldn't reproduce the results when they weren't standing in the room, meaning there's not a viable explanation for the results. Doesn't mean it's true, just that it happened. Most likely, it was their presence that caused the responses, rather than the plant.

RockabillyChick

Kilt-lifter
Nov 5, 2005
Washington state
i just watched it now and what happened is that while in the room, 33% of the time they got a reaction, while OUT of the room, 28% of the time they got a reaction. however they could not get a reaction when they used yoghurt, or when they took white blood cells from a team member and tested it for reactions when they electrocuted him, and they also didn't get a reaction from the plant when they boiled eggs nearby.

therefore i believe that plants can feel and sense when there are hostile thoughts towards them, but not to other things (though eggs aren't even alive unless they are fertilized)

the theory they were testing was that one living thing could feel when another living thing was being hurt. that was disproved, however the secondary thing they stumbled upon is that plants can sense when a being is having hostile thoughts towards them.

Must4ng s4lly

AC Members
Jan 9, 2004
Houston
Visit site
OK I am REALLY freaked! I just hacked and cut a bunch of plants this weekend as they were getting really crazy in the yard. They were all growing into each other and I had to cut them back.....Ahhhhh! :thud: LOL!

That is a pretty interesting thing....

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
Well, having hostile thoughts about a plant and pruning it vigorously are quite different aren't they? I mean, after a vigorous pruning, plants often come back stronger and livelier than before, right? Unless they are masochists, they must "enjoy" the pruning to some extent, otherwise they wouldn't respond so positively...

On a side note, I had a freaky incident this weekend that made me think that fish might also be responsive to human thoughts and words. I lost my beloved betta, and was complaining bitterly to someone about how I didn't really like my other fish (who was located in a different tank). The next thing I knew, the fish I had just "dissed" committed suicide by bouncing repeatedly off the lid of the tank until he fell to the bottom of the tank, lifeless. Suffice it to say I am careful what I say around my fish now!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store