Poison Dart Frogs....I have some !!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Here's a few more pics of some closeups of each side of the 20...really need a background for this...

This is the right side where my daughter has decided the Citronella should be.. ;)

And this side belongs to Oelemari...

Sorry for flooding with all these pics...lol....I can't help it !

We haven't named these little guys/gals yet....it'll have to be something that is more or less gender neutral...as we don't know their sex yet...lol....also waiting to see if they have thier own personality.......any suggestions ? :D

jaylin

Don't ask if you don't want to know
Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
I saw that on animal planet too!

I thought it was beetles, not ants. The poison is batrachotoxin, which is a powerful neurotoxin that shuts down the respiratory as well as other systems. *gasp* *choke*

They are beautiful little frogs though. Gratz on the new additions!

jaylin

Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
Kasakato said:
How much where they? If they sting a human what will it do?
And Kadakato ... the frogs do not sting. They secrete. All you have to do is touch those little suckers.

jaylin

Aug 14, 2005
Denver-ish Colorado.
Yea, but after watching that thing on tv, I'm not sure I'd be willing to test that theory. :)

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
lol...Actually, it's not a theory, but a fact.....but, I hear ya...however... these fellas have been breeding them raising them and handling them for years....they're still kickin around...and we aren't planning on doing any handling of them if we can help it...not so much for our protection as their's...the oils and salts on the hands are not good for them.

Last edited:

sky.eyes.woman

I'd rather be in Hockeytown!
Dec 6, 2004
Greenville, SC
Wow, Emg...those frogs are beautiful! The terrarium looks nice too! :thm:
I've been thinking about getting some sort of reptile for this 30 gallon cube tank that's been sitting around empty for months, but I can't seem to make up my mind and had considered getting some Dendrobates Azuratus (sp?)...you know, the blue and black ones? I dunno. There are lots of reptile shows going on around here and you can get them really cheap at one, but I'm sort of afraid to go because I know I'd be coming home with SOMETHING! :D

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
I saw some of those blue and black ones today...very nice. they're the same as the black and green...only....blue...lol...

Man, I'd go to one of those shows in a heartbeat. If you do go, look for the folks from BlackJungle...thier frogs are home raised. One of the fellas said that most of the frogs you find at some of those shows are not captive bred. You can tell if they're selling them as adults, it's a good bet their wild caught..though not poisonous either because the lack of the poisons in thier diet. But they proabably aren't as hardy. So if you do go..and you decide to pick some out...choose the little froglets..those would be captive raised for sure.

Here's a link to a post of thier schedule..They're going to be in Atlanta in Oct.....these guys do alot of traveling..
http://www.blackjungle.com/shows.htm

sky.eyes.woman

I'd rather be in Hockeytown!
Dec 6, 2004
Greenville, SC
I just can't decide what I want to get...I'm also leaning toward getting a Uromastyx, every time we get one in at work I'm always holding them and petting them because I just think they're so cool. Or maybe a bearded dragon, leopard gecko, veiled chameleon...hmmm...:huh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store