Poison Dart Frogs....I have some !!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Yes, PD frogs are very interesting and fun to watch. But it depends on what type you get. There are very small ones that are pretty shy and like to hide if they see you....there are others that are larger and not shy at all and will show up anytime they see you because they just KNOW you're the chuckwagon...sort of like most cichlids.

Of the 3 that I have, the tinctorius "Citronella" is the most bold. Not a shy bone in his body. They are also one of the larger variety when fully grown. My tinctorius "Oelemari" is beginnig to be less shy. He won't run back under the log as soon as he sees me anymore, but he's still a bit more skittish than the "Cit". My auratus "Green and Black" is VERY shy...rarely if ever comes out of hiding...and when he does, he scoots right away as soon as he sees me.

Dart frogs can live up to 16 years that I know of...they can be pretty long lived if properly cared for.

They are easy to keep...you just have to maintain a high humidity in the tank you keep them in...and make sure you keep up on the food supply. I feed mine flightless fruitflies and I have to make sure I always have a batch on hand that is ready to feed. It takes a few weeks from getting a culture going, to when it starts producing flies...you have to keep up with it. I've come close a few times by putting off starting another culter...but so far I havn't completely run out. There are other things you can feed them, but my experience has only been with the fruitflies. I powdered them with vitamin suppliments before feeding them to the frogs.

They are VERY suseptible to death due to overheating. Do not keep them anywhere in direct sunlight or where the temps get much warmer than 85...they die quickly in high heat...but can tolerate cooler temps a bit easier.

Hope this helps you decide.....they are a neat critter, but do some serious research before you purchase any ! :read:

Teelie

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
They are very nice. One day I'd like to keep some but I've literally run out of places to set up aquariums. Well anything bigger than a 10 gallon and I wouldn't want to put them in anything short of a 20 long or a 30.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Actually, a 10 would suit some of these frogs quite nicely. I wouldn't think twice about setting up a 10 for 1 dart frog. I don't know if I would keep a pair in a 10 though. I have the young G&B auratus in a 10 for now, until he's big enough to go in the 20 tall up in my daughter's room.

You could easily keep a pair of the smaller types in a 10, but it would have to be heavily planted, they usually like to stay hidden.

Teelie

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
My thing is I'd want more than one. :laugh: I may break down and see about setting up my spare 10 on my desk if I can find the time and convince my girlfriend. We have some cats which might find a new "toy" interesting to play with.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Thought I would post some updated pics of my frogs. They've grown some since I posted the ones on the beginning of this thread...these are thumbnails, click on them for a larger pic....

The "Citronella"

The "Oelemari":

The divided 20long I keep the "Citronella" and "Oelemari" in. I need to replace the moss in these tanks as soon as the weather warms up some. It's the kind of moss that needs a dormant period..which would be "now" if I hadn't brought it in here...lol.

The 10 gallon I have the G&B in:

My G&B...he's hard to get pics of:

Last edited:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Lol on the cat toy thing.....you would certainly want a tight fitting lid...glass lids work very well for these frogs....keeps the moisture in. You would want whatever lighting you use, to be up off the lid though...to prevent it getting too hot in the tank for the frogs, especially in the summertime.

I juryrigged my striplight over the 20long by using cardboard propped under each end of the light. It holds the light a good 3-4 inches above the top of the tank.....seems to work fine.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Teeli...where abouts are you located ? I'm in Ct and there is a store nearby which specializes in Dart frogs and tropical plants.......could save ALOT !!! on shipping if you could pick them up at the source....it can cost up to 70$ just to ship these babies !!

Teelie

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
My new 55g has glass lids, which is a first for me and they definitely hold the moisture in better than the plastic lids I'm used to using. My tanks with the plastic lids need topping off at least every few days but that 55 hasn't lost any noticable amount in two weeks.

The lighting might be a little more difficult but I'm pretty resourceful so I should be able to find some way of raising the lights high enough. :D

Teelie

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
Emg said:
Teeli...where abouts are you located ? I'm in Ct and there is a store nearby which specializes in Dart frogs and tropical plants.......could save ALOT !!! on shipping if you could pick them up at the source....it can cost up to 70$ just to ship these babies !!
I'm in Louisiana so it's a little out of the way. There's a PetCo here that sells some frogs but I don't know if they have poison darts, or the conditions of the frogs. There's also a reptile shop which has them but I know even less about the health of their frogs. All I know is they keep the place like a sauna.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Here's a site for the store near me Teelie.....they go all over the place to many different reptile/amphibian shows. They have a calendar of events there....look and see if there are any reptile shows coming near you....... www.blackjungle.com

If they don't have any listed...keep searching for reptile expos coming in your area. I know there is a big one coming in Daytona Beach in August I believe...

You really want to see if you can get some from a reputable dealer....they're more likely to be healthy and well cared for. Look for froglets, they will most certainly be captive bred and raised. If you see them as adults, they may have been gotten from the wild and most likely have parasite issues..though not always.

Go to some dart frog forums and ask questions there about them. Sometimes you'll find someone you can buy some from for a fair price. There is one fella at the "DartDen" who will test your frog's feces for parasites for a $15 charge...pretty reasonable. Just like fish, it's always a good idea to keep your frogs in seperate quarters until you can be sure they are parasite free. If you introduce them into the viverium and they have any in them, the viverium will become infected as well...so useing a "quarenteen" tank is a good idea. A small petkeeper/pettote thing would work fine for that...as long as there is damp moss in there.

OOO...lots of info....lol....sorry about that ! I get a little carried away sometimes... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store