Poison Dart Frogs....I have some !!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Lol...I had to look up uromastyx....pretty cool !

I would say, that if those are what really peeks your interest and you like them so much...get some of those ! I picked dart frogs because I just couldn't get enough of looking at pics of them...and I remember seeing one of the citronellas in a zoo once...and wishing really bad I could have one....lol....see...wishes do come true ! What a blessing ! :D

FreddytheFish

Nano-Reefer
Aug 29, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
your frogs are awesome!!! i saw some on vacation in Costa Rica, but i didn't know that u could buy them! i have an empty 10 gallon tank and was wondering what to do with it, do u think i could get some of those little guys? what equipment do they need? do u know of any websites where i can learn about them?

beautifulfish

Fishies are cool!
Aug 17, 2005
Troms?,Norway
I love frogs! They are awesome! I would get some more but no money and no room! lol..anyways..how much does it cost to set up a small terrarium? How big of a tank do you need? and are they easy to take care of? And do they get out easily?oh...and do they need a certain type of lid?

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Freddy....here is a couple of web sites with some info on dart frogs...but I would do more searching as well. There is plenty of info out there to be had.

www.blackjungle.com
http://dartden.com/index.php

I bought my frogs from BlackJungle..because they are within driving distance and I saved a bunch on my car insur....now WAIT....on SHIPPING.... :joke: by getting them there.

BeautifulFish...you do need to have a closed top so they can't get out...they will climb up the glass....and in my opinion...viveriums aren't as expensive or as diffficult to keep as aquariums are. First, you don't need a filter, heater or...water changes...lol..unless you do a water viverium..but those aren't necessary. My tank is a 20 long and I think that is a good size, but you can do a 10 up for them. Right now I have the G&B in a 5 gallon because it's so small. When they're little it's best to keep them in a smaller space so they can find thier food alot easier. They eat fruitflies...flightless.

These frogs are very sensitive to heat. You want to be sure thier tank is NOT in direct sunlight. It doesn't take them long to succumb to high temps. They can tolerate cold alot more than heat...though even extreme cold temps are not a good place for them.

I would recommend doing lots of research before buying one..because they can be expensive. But they sure are a very cool pet ! :cool:

Last edited:

beautifulfish

Fishies are cool!
Aug 17, 2005
Troms?,Norway
thanks for your info! I am trying to get Haakon to buy frogs, lizards, mice, rats, or SOMETHING! lol..I know that I just got a new greyhound but I just love pets!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He says that we don't need anymore ecspecially with the new babies arriving! Someday though... :joke:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
babIES ?!

Are you speaking of Human babies...or...some of your animal friends..lol...

If it's the two of you expecting....babIES....as in...more than one at the same time...then I would definitly hold off...lol....your hands are going to be full in no time at all....you aren't going to be wanting to dust and feed fruitflies between changes I guarantee it ! :)

Congrats BTW... ! :clap:

beautifulfish

Fishies are cool!
Aug 17, 2005
Troms?,Norway
lol.. EMG! WEll I have a post about my visit to the doctors today under twins if you wanna read it:D

coolfool

AC Members
Feb 21, 2006
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a couple of the poison dart frogs. Do you know what their life span is? Do they have any interesting traits or habits? Are they fun to watch?

Thanks!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store