Ramming

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AshK

Muffin MIX NAO
Jun 24, 2008
California, PA
I don't know how rams/kribs/angelfish get along, but you will definitely need to take some of them back. There's no way you can keep the rainbow, the fish labled "NEW FISH" in the 3rd picture, as they get big and need a school.

In the future do NOT under ANY circumstances buy ANY new fish until you properly research the fish's needs and compatibilty. I suggest you do not listen to your LFS either!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I can definetely see the Krib and Ram as the source of the tension in the tank, I don't think they would like each other's company. And you shouldn't have added the rainbow to the tank when your molly has ich. Like AshK said, you should thoroughly research your fish before you buy them, not just buy them on impulse.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Little bit too much cichlid in there unfortunately to be stable in a 35 G Hex.

If you like the Angels, you need to remove the Kribensis and probably the ram. In medium/long term the Angels would prefer a larger tank. If you prefer the krib and the ram, you could try removing the Angels and see how they go together.

The rainbows are capable of aggression too - I don't know that they can stay with e.g. the Angels and I think they require a larger group to be stable.

Treatment for ich, as per the above, is the salt and heat process.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
I can't see how long term mollies and Rams are going to get on; mollies don't generally work long term at a GH below around 20 - 30+ preferred; Rams I would be wary of in any water with a GH above 10, 15 at most. There's no overlap here.*

*I know someone is going to tell me that they're successfully keeping a ram in damp chalk and a molly in distilled water, but in general it doesn't work, OK?

aquaman1013

AC Members
Nov 14, 2008
New york
Thank you all ,i am alittle annoyed right now THis is a very responable fish store I go to and he says they are not cichilds he has a whole seprate area for them and these were not there.. I always buy fish in pairs and the one you call ram was a pair one died two days after bringing it home THe ram is the quiet one he stay by himself ,BUT he has been one of the rammers him the mollies and the rainbow fish.
Angel fish swim fine they seem to be pocketing at the top of the tank all the time most likely looking for food.

I will start the salt treatment today 70 teaspoons of salt seems like a lot of salt I will then have a salt water tank (LOL)
Thank you again.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Those fish are unquestionably cichlids - Krib and Ram. A few pointers (generalisations but I hope useful):

Finnage: Cichlids have a long-based dorsal (top) fin, actually consisting of two sections, a harder front section and a softer back section. In the related Perches, these two sections become separate fins. Tetras have a single short-based triangular dorsal fin and a very small adipose fin between the dorsal and the tail. Note both your fish have the long-based dorsal fin of a cichlid.

Behaviour: Cichlids are generally territorial and prefer to be alone or in pairs. Tetras are usually shoaling fish without a defined territory which will bicker amongst the shoal but nevertheless prefer to be in groups.

If your shop insists those are tetras, find another shop. They are no more tetras than elephants are giraffes.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Nope. Angelfish are cichlids too. Rift Lake cichlids do better with hard water, other cichlids prefer it very soft, but the majority aren't fussy. We don't know whether your water is hard or soft at the moment, but it only usually has an impact on long-term fish health, rather than causing instant death.

aquaman1013

AC Members
Nov 14, 2008
New york
WOW I am shocked to be honest the store I have beeen shopping in is one of the most popular and honest ones around . I did email him and tell him I got ich from one of his fish because I only buy from him.

I am shocked about the fish, I aksed him for some nice fish that will all get along when I go he told me cichilds are very busy fish and colorful but, he has them in a whole other room and then another room is saltwater.

So Now i have to go tell him he is doing something wrong.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
The "busy and colourful" cichlids will be the Rift Lake ones. There are lots of others, such as the African riverine species (like your Krib) and the South American ones (like your Ram).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store