Ramming

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquaman1013

AC Members
Nov 14, 2008
New york
I am lost now again I was always told african cichild are to be in a seperate tank with special water with coral or something ..Not aware they were different type of cichilds/

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
African Rift Lake cichlids do need to be kept in hard water - coral, on the other hand, is for marine fish. But the Krib is not a Rift Lake Cichlid, although it is African.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
oh, African cichlids are colorful and active FW fish, only problem is they kind of need to be kept with other cichlids, they have no spot in a community tank, save for the rams. Rams are pretty peaceful.
Cory - Rams aren't African Cichlids. There are lots of cichlids which can be kept in community tanks, some of them African (Kribs are an example), other than Rams.

Spewn

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
African Rift Lake cichlids do need to be kept in hard water - coral, on the other hand, is for marine fish. But the Krib is not a Rift Lake Cichlid, although it is African.

Crushed coral is probably what he heard.

Crushed coral is used in african rift lake cichlid tanks because it helps maintain a high KH level(carbonate concentration) which keeps the pH buffered at around 8.4 iirc? Whole coral could be used as well, I guess.

aquaman1013

AC Members
Nov 14, 2008
New york
Ok I put in the 25 teaspoons of salt table salt and it looks very cloudy i let it sit in water for 30 minutes before.Hope this works I have never done this before..

Is the salt a one time dose for the 10 days or do I have to do water changes as I do now weekly and add more??????/

Last edited:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Ash K I pmd you.

KarlTh

AC Members
Feb 15, 2008
Crushed coral is probably what he heard.

Crushed coral is used in african rift lake cichlid tanks because it helps maintain a high KH level(carbonate concentration) which keeps the pH buffered at around 8.4 iirc? Whole coral could be used as well, I guess.
Fair enough. I'm not a fan of whole coral in freshwater. Problem even with crushed coral is it's only really soluble in acid water; once the water is alkaline it is very slow to dissolve, which can be a problem if the GH is still very low, and despite the fuss made about pH in African Cichlid tanks, it's actually the high hardness the fish require. I therefore advocate the use of the African Cichlid salts if the water isn't naturally hard; they're quite cheap when bought in solid form.

We're getting off the point here. What's interesting to me is that there's a bit of a good example here (although not involving massive fish, but involving poor lfs advice and information) for that other thread we're crossing swords on, no?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store