Ramming

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Ok I put in the 25 teaspoons of salt table salt and it looks very cloudy i let it sit in water for 30 minutes before.Hope this works I have never done this before..

Is the salt a one time dose for the 10 days or do I have to do water changes as I do now weekly and add more??????/
Did you add the salt all at once or a little at a time? How are they fairing this morning?

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Just read through the thread again...the Ram (German Blue Ram) will chase and head butt fish when they get in his territiry but they rarely do any damage. I have a Bolivian Ram and I find it entertaining to watch her be bossy; she has NEVER caused any damage. She even chases the angel that is 3 x's her size!. I would only be concerned when the ramming is happening very often & to the point of the "rammie" getting stressed &/or injured. This is typical cichlid behavior and usually once "territories" are established the other fish learn where they "don't belong".....

aquaman1013

AC Members
Nov 14, 2008
New york
I added all the salt at once but I let it sit in a bucket of water first .I added 50 teaspoons But as I read I need to add another 25 later on .I guess they look ok one molly is straight up (NOse facing top) But he keeps swimming.
I have the filter running ,Air stone on NOW I asked earlier should I still DO water changes? If so Do I add salt after? THis is the first time I am doing the salt treatment I really did not know you could add salt to freshwater fish.
Water is cloudy but I guess it is to obe expected

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
When I dealt with Ich I added the salt water solution a little at a time so as to not shock the fish. It actually took me a few hours to get all of it in. I hope they will be ok. (there is a sticky in FW section on diseases that is helpful)
The water will be cloudy - nothing you can do about that. I would suggest adding an air pump or if you have a hang on back filter, lowering the water level to increase water movement - this will increase the oxygen level. With the increased temp and the salt the oxygen will be decreased.....
Here is the link to the sticky I was talking about....good luck!

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169765

aquaman1013

AC Members
Nov 14, 2008
New york
Those are confusing I have now raised my temp to 82 degrees.I have added a total of 73 teaspoons of salt lights are offf. It is day 2 will keep informed .I will do a water next Saturday As I just did one last Saturday .
Again I ask Should I add more salt after I do a water change?

Thanks for all the help
RIck

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
If you must do a water change it is important to add back to correct amount of salt/per gallons changed out. You need to keep the salt level up for the entire treatment period.

Edit: Correction - if your water change is after 1 week of salt treatment you do not need to add more back. Someone please chime in if I am not correct. I initially added 2 tsp per gallon, but added it very slowly. If your fish are ok after adding it all at once, you should be ok. It is my understanding that it takes 2 weeks for the Ich to run its course.....so keep the temp up and good luck.

Last edited:

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
You might get more input of you post a thread in the general freshwater section regarding Ich treatment questions. I have only dealt with Ich once (knock on wood!) but the advice I got here was very helpful....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store