Red Cherry Shrimp 101-The Basics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
an excellent tutorial! I always appreciate one with pictures :D

Might I suggest that you mention that it's very easy to overfeed and they eat very little? How do we go about getting this stickied? :)

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Thank you Mr. Zigman! Very educational! What is that leafy plant in several of the shots? Is that moneywort?

You're Welcome!

That is HM.
Hemianthus Micranthemoides
AKA baby Tears.

Thanks for fixing my typos Jinkzie!
I was going to re read it, and had to go get some parts..

DSeucrocher

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Chicago, IL
Can a bristlenose pleco live with them? And not eat the babies? What about pond snails? They arent quick enough are they for the babies? Trying out breeding them, guy at LFS gave me what he thought were females all pretty red, and I have a clearer cherry already that will hopefully do the biznazz:) How long does it take a female to hatch her eggs? Does the shock from transport ruin the brood?

Are pencilfish and featherfin rainbows OK? Temp and PH are fine just need to stay on top of water changes. Last question, if I left my tap water sit for 24 hours, does it remove all the chorline rending it good for fish? Is it the same as using Prime?

The Zigman

Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I'll answer what I can.

Can a bristlenose pleco live with them?
IDK, I dont have one..
And not eat the babies? What about pond snails?
Pond snails are fine.
They arent quick enough are they for the babies?
Pond snails dont eat baby shrimp.
Trying out breeding them, guy at LFS gave me what he thought were females all pretty red, and I have a clearer cherry already that will hopefully do the biznazz:) How long does it take a female to hatch her eggs?
Usually after a shrimp becomes berried , the eggs hatsh in about 2weeks. Does the shock from transport ruin the brood?
they handle transportatioon very well

Are pencilfish and featherfin rainbows OK? Temp and PH are fine just need to stay on top of water changes. Last question, if I left my tap water sit for 24 hours, does it remove all the chorline rending it good for fish? Is it the same as using Prime? I would suggest using prime if you have chlorinated water, just to be sure.

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
Zigman,

I read somewhere that Neocaridina species reproduce sexually, with sexual organs. The make deposits his man-juice in the female, allowing the eggs that pass through to get fertilized. I've never witnessed such, but that is my readings. From my understanding, your tutorial seems to mention that the females drop their eggs, the male fertilizes them, then she picks them back up?

Just wanted to clarify, a great overview of these fine shrimp though.

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
tap water may have chlorine in it which will gas off eventually but many cities now also use chloramine, which will not gas off. Prime treats for both :)

The Zigman

Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
Zigman,

I read somewhere that Neocaridina species reproduce sexually, with sexual organs. The make deposits his man-juice in the female, allowing the eggs that pass through to get fertilized. I've never witnessed such, but that is my readings. From my understanding, your tutorial seems to mention that the females drop their eggs, the male fertilizes them, then she picks them back up?

Just wanted to clarify, a great overview of these fine shrimp though.
Hmm, I have never read that, I have always read about the external fertilization, but have not witnessed it either..
I'll watch a little more closely and see what happens when the lights go out.. Now where is that Barry White CD?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store