Red Cherry Shrimp 101-The Basics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mokomon

You can call me Sharon :)
Oct 16, 2008
N.H.
*Takes notes*

:D

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
Hmm, I have never read that, I have always read about the external fertilization, but have not witnessed it either..
I'll watch a little more closely and see what happens when the lights go out.. Now where is that Barry White CD?
http://www.petshrimp.com/articles/faq.html

There's the read. I've not witnessed it as well.

Here's a quote for you lazy folks:

"2. How do shrimp reproduce?
Shrimp reproduce via eggs. Eggs are produced in the ovaries of the female, which may or may not show up (depending on coloration of species) as a light or dark patch right behind the head area of the female. After the female molts, the male mates with the female (facing each other) depositing his sperm at the opening of the female genital opening. Shortly after, the eggs migrate from the female's ovaries through her genital opening to the abdomen. As the eggs pass through the female genital opening, they are fertilized by the sperm that had been deposited there by the male earlier. The eggs rest in the pleopod ("swimmerettes", swimming legs) area of the female. She carries them around wherever she goes. Depending on species, it may take anywhere between 2 weeks to 2 months for the young to hatch. Most dwarf shrimp species take 3-4 weeks to hatch. The hatchlings are tiny, barely visible and only a few millimeters long. Some shrimp species produce fully developed young, whereas others produce free-floating larvae that usually need a special saltwater/brackish water setup to be reared to the postlarval (i.e. benthic mini-shrimp) stage, at which point they can be acclimated to freshwater. Time until hatching depends on temperature. The higher the temperature (within reason of course) the shorter the time until hatching. The young hatch directly from among the pleopods. The female does not deposit the eggs anywhere. " - Mustafa Ucozler​

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
I also wanted to point out that RCS are in fact great algae eaters depending on the type of algae present. I put an algae covered plant into my 55g RCS tank and that thing was spotless in less than 15 minutes, not kidding.

saram521

AC Members
May 10, 2008
Georgia
www.aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Sara
I also wanted to point out that RCS are in fact great algae eaters depending on the type of algae present. I put an algae covered plant into my 55g RCS tank and that thing was spotless in less than 15 minutes, not kidding.
It also depends on how many shrimp you have in your colony as to how well certain kinds of algae will disappear. Not very many people dedicate a 55g to shrimp, and instead have smallers tank of a couple hundred shrimp. I think zig wanted to make people aware that they cannot rely on neo shrimp to get rid of their algae problems.

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
It also depends on how many shrimp you have in your colony as to how well certain kinds of algae will disappear. Not very many people dedicate a 55g to shrimp, and instead have smallers tank of a couple hundred shrimp. I think zig wanted to make people aware that they cannot rely on neo shrimp to get rid of their algae problems.
Yep!
That was my point. I have about 200 RCS in a 10 gal tank, and there is plenty of algae.. If you want an algae eater buy a Bushynose or a few SAEs..

looney417

AC Members
Jul 7, 2007
hey, i know they are sensitive to nitrate, but if i stuff the tank (a 10gal) with java moss, would it be safe to conclude that there is always little nitrate? and theres nothing in the tank besides the shrimps (about 10) and moss...

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
java moss is a slow grower and isn't a very efficient nitrate soaker, but it will help. The best way to get rid of nitrate is regular partial water changes. And it's not advisable to assume where you can be sure: it would be wise to invest in a liquid test kit if you don't already have one. The API freshwater master test kit will allow you to track ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store