Red Cherry Shrimp 101-The Basics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wendamus

Crazy Guppy Lady with serious MTS
Jul 17, 2008
Los Angeles
Trying to catch a few leftover questions.

Can a bristlenose pleco live with them? And not eat the babies?
My BN and Dwarf BN both did fine, completely ignored them. They're so exclusive to a veggie diet that I have never seen them pay any attention to anything that moves.

Are pencilfish and featherfin rainbows OK?
I doubt it -- almost any fish that eats live food is big enough to eat the newborn shrimp, even day old guppy fry left my population static. Think of it this way, newborn Red Cherry shrimp are almost the same size as baby brine shrimp -- anything that will eat BBS will eat baby RCS.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Very true. All my small mouthed fish (neons, cardinals, harlequin rasboras and rummy nose) eat shrimp fry. The trick is to have enough plants to provide enough cover so that enough shrimp survive to maturity and continue the life cycle to keep a nice population working for you. It doesn't hurt to keep a small shrimp only tank to be on the safe side.

Q

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
Not really worried about them reproducing but can the adults survive with Angel Fish in the tank?

Not in my tank. I have 3 angels in a 75 and whenever I put RCS in the tank they're gone in days. This is a tank with good plant cover. The SAEs root 'em out and the angels snap 'em up.

Q

thincat

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
Okay, I got my RCS in saltwater. Will they breed in water that is sg 1.025 and a PH of 8.0...?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store