Reef Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Germanman

My fish are my babies
ok ok ok.....my father will be back with my digital camera....TONIGHT....so, as i off work....Hey...did i tell everyone i am on Holiday this week?....

Will get some snaps done tonight, when its nice and dark....

Sheesh your all slave drivers....lol

Niko
sure sure ill believe it when i see it!

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
ok ok ok.....my father will be back with my digital camera....TONIGHT....so, as i off work....Hey...did i tell everyone i am on Holiday this week?....

Niko
So you're on a week's vacation? Awesome! I'm sure it's well earned. Looking forward to the pictures. You don't want to keep us in the dark now do you? ;)

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
OK Niko, looking good...........But why do you have the tanks heater in the tank and not the sump? I always look to in trying to keep the heater out of my tanks. Of course this was another matter when in my younger years in the hobby for sumps then were not in use, least not here in the states.

If my grandchildren see your clowns, they go and say that you have nemo there. Of course the clowns are captive breed ed?

I know that your two 250 watts MH, only what size is your tank? When you say that this is a log for your tank, that means you tell us all the facts, not leave one single thing out, not unless you want a "ROIT" on your hands.

I seen from your opening photo that your a drain for this tank going under the tank itself, just how is your setup be and please for all the other admires here, don't leave out nothing for slave drivers were nothing, wait and see what's next if you not deliver :sad:

You don't want to keep us in the dark now do you?
He wouldn't dare do that too us, he couldn't LOL

Buddy

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I'm pretty sure he said on an older thread that it's about 100 US gallons and that the heater was in there temporarily but would definitely be going in the sump.

Hehe, yeah it seems as if a lot of kids (and some adults!) still refer to clownfish as "Nemos."

Buddy
Now THAT would be a risky thing to do...;)

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Germanman, I not can see this for the only thing that can go wrong in that case is that the return pump fails and the heat stays in the sump. This I not ever seen or if I ever heard of it happening before and it not means that it wouldn't.

I guess you got your reasons for not having a sump, this not however mean that you couldn't manage a healthy tank for I seen many that have sumps and they fair no better then the next person. It lies on the personal background experiences of each of us.

Myself however, I prefer a sump and had sumps now for about 45 years now, but not take it at my word on that, for it might be longer then that or few years less. For the time when I became aware of the sump discovery, I not had it until a few years later for i was waiting to see if it was any good first. It were a Oriental fellow who made the discovery by the name of Lee I think and sorry, I not remember his full name.

Buddy

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
07/05/2007

Well.....As so many of you have been clawing at my back to deliver some updates, plus i just have not really had the time. So here you go, just a quick update to where we stand as of today...

Before i give you death by photo, i shall try to address all the questions people have asked me as the log had progressed..If i have missed anybody's quetion about my system, just holla up and i shall answer them....

justkillin_time - you might have said somewhere else but what size is your tank?
The display tank itself is 84 Gallon and the sump tank is 33 gallons

TomToro - I wish I had your patience, my friend. Planning would have been a good idea for me before I started cementing frags. Didn't I think they'd grow and fight? Frogsqawn next to a montipora, what was I on?

I applaud your forethought!
I believe patience is a virtue in this hobby. I do not believe in rushing anything at all..I know far too many people who ahve gone out, setup a fish tank, whether it be marine or fresh, use cycling chemicals to speed the cycle up and bang bucket loads of fish in there..and they after they have battled with the bio-load, had some fish die and the tank has settled down...they get bored. This is because they have done, within the space of a month, what should be done in the space of at least a year...So, that is my philosophy, take it easy, take it slow and your patience will be repaid by a maturing tank that stable and one that you have taken the time to learn and fully understand.

oddballfanatic - that is such a beuatiful tank nikko!!

how much live rock do you have in there??... i love the aquascaping!!

great job so far and good luck
i have in total, 87lbs of live rock in the tank. The first thing that you will all say is....it dont look like much....Well, actually, it more than adequate to provide the filtration that is required for "this" marine system so i do not have any other method of filtration like cannister filters as i dont believe they are neccesary. Just my opinion..The sump has about 20Lbs of rubble buried underneath the macro alage...

5xevy - Quote:
Originally Posted by atnixon
there will be some updates some time next week

Ahem...
Happy El?...he he he

Germanman
Quote:
Originally Posted by atnixon

Niko

sure sure ill believe it when i see it!
Well...better believe it...lol

5xevy - So you're on a week's vacation? Awesome! I'm sure it's well earned. Looking forward to the pictures. You don't want to keep us in the dark now do you?
El, concider yourself enlightened

OldManOfTheSea - OK Niko, looking good...........But why do you have the tanks heater in the tank and not the sump? I always look to in trying to keep the heater out of my tanks. Of course this was another matter when in my younger years in the hobby for sumps then were not in use, least not here in the states.

If my grandchildren see your clowns, they go and say that you have nemo there. Of course the clowns are captive breed ed?

I know that your two 250 watts MH, only what size is your tank? When you say that this is a log for your tank, that means you tell us all the facts, not leave one single thing out, not unless you want a "ROIT" on your hands.

I seen from your opening photo that your a drain for this tank going under the tank itself, just how is your setup be and please for all the other admires here, don't leave out nothing for slave drivers were nothing, wait and see what's next if you not deliver ..
Quote:
You don't want to keep us in the dark now do you?

Buddy
Buddy, thanks for the comments. The heater is still in the main tank, two reasons, i dont really believe it is detracting the looks of the tank..I was going to buy a short titanium heater, but, its just one of them things i have never got around to getting...money keeps being spent on more important things..

The clown fish were brought as a mated pair and were both tank bred. It took me a good while to actually find a pair that were mated prior to purchase rather than introducing two from seperate tanks..Will they breed? who knows..this is marine after all....if only marine fish were as easy a Guppies who are always at it like rabbits...

Yes, i have 2 x 250w (14k) MH lights over the 53" long tank..I chose metal halide lighting, and 500w over a tank my size sort of removed the hand-cuffs as to what i would potentially want to house with regards to corals. I also have 100w of actinic suppliment..i also have a 5w moon light which an LED array and gives a very faint soft glow to the tank when all the main lights are off..

Basically, the drain that you refer too is the exit from the main tank for the closed loop. The first picture is the underside of the closed loop exit inside the tank, and the second picture is of the return pump and return back into the tank where it gets distributed via a 25mm VDL pipe to different areas of the display tank..

Here is a picture of the closed loop internal pipe work before the system was filled..

Ok, here is a quick run down of the equipment i used to build this complete DIY system..in no set order, just as i scan them on my sytem

1) Modded Seaclone 150 skimmer, works very well, cup fills in 3 days with thick brown gunk...totaly different skimmer after the modification of shortening the uplift tube by 1 inch..
2) Tank 84 Gallon
3) Sump 33 Gallon
4) 300w heater
5) Ocean Runner 6500 closed loop pump
6) Eheim 1262 sump return pump
7) 32mm ( 1.2 inch ) overflow VDL pipe to the sump
8) 25mm ( 1.0 inch ) return VDL pipe to the display tank
9) 25mm ( 1.0 inch ) closed loop VDL pipe
10) Digital thermometer with temp alarm
11) 2 x 250w 14K Metal Halide pendants
12) 2 x 50w Actinic tubes
13) 5w LED array for moonlight
14) 50 GPD 4 Stage RO Unit

Tank inhabitants

Butcher, yellow tang, 4 inches in size

Coral, Female clown, false perc, tank raised, 1.5 inches

Marlon, male clown, false perc, tank raised, 1 inch

Dredge, the sand sifter goby, 4 inches

Orange spotted watchman Goby, 3 inches

Corals

The closed favia brown and green closed brain, which you have seen before, here is the other two additions...

Shrooms

Bright as the main MH's are on..

Motipora Digi

Take with the MH's off as i believe it looks better

Some of the hermits

A few tank and equipment pics

And just to show i practice what i preach, here is a bristle worm..

This one is my fav....

" Hey, I've seen a boat. It went by not too long ago. It went... this way. It went this way "

So, there you go, a quick update of where we stand as of today...Any questions, juts holla up....

It aint a perfect tank, but its mine !!!

Niko

Last edited:

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
Buddy, thanks for the comments. The heater is still in the main tank, two reasons, i dont really believe it is detracting the looks of the tank..I was going to buy a short titanium heater, but, its just one of them things i have never got around to getting...money keeps being spent on more important things..

The clown fish were brought as a mated pair and were both tank bred. It took me a good while to actually find a pair that were mated prior to purchase rather than introducing two from seperate tanks..Will they breed? who knows..this is marine after all....if only marine fish were as easy a Guppies who are always at it like rabbits...

Yes, i have 2 x 250w (14k) MH lights over the 53" long tank..I chose metal halide lighting, and 500w over a tank my size sort of removed the hand-cuffs as to what i would potentially want to house with regards to corals. I also have 100w of actinic suppliment..i also have a 5w moon light which an LED array and gives a very faint soft glow to the tank when all the main lights are off..

Basically, the drain that you refer too is the exit from the main tank for the closed loop. The first picture is the underside of the closed loop exit inside the tank, and the second picture is of the return pump and return back into the tank where it gets distributed via a 25mm VDL pipe to different areas of the display tank..
Being I not gotten any auto emailing on the responses which were done, I had no idea of the many following comments that were said. And your correct Niko on that the heater in your tank, by all means in no way detracts the tank appearances. I mean that I done it in that way for so many years prior to the sump being invented.

On the two tank system I have, if I were able to best described it, it has much piping that the return pump losses more then half the turnover that the pump is about 1200 gph and I get less then half that. I do hope that I explained that well enough:coffee2:

Buddy

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Being I not gotten any auto emailing on the responses which were done, I had no idea of the many following comments that were said. And your correct Niko on that the heater in your tank, by all means in no way detracts the tank appearances. I mean that I done it in that way for so many years prior to the sump being invented.

On the two tank system I have, if I were able to best described it, it has much piping that the return pump losses more then half the turnover that the pump is about 1200 gph and I get less then half that. I do hope that I explained that well enough:coffee2:

Buddy
Your comments are most welcome buddy..

On the two tank system I have, if I were able to best described it, it has much piping that the return pump losses more then half the turnover that the pump is about 1200 gph and I get less then half that.
Yes, this is always a factor that has to be concidered when planning the plumbing for a tank..the more 90 and 45 deg bends that are used reduces the GPH flow rate of the system..I spent quite a while with the head loss calulators planning that part..

Niko

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store