Sand vs. Gravel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Samba264

AC Members
Nov 26, 2010
Wellington, NZ
Real Name
Sam
What are the advantages/disadvantages of sand and gravel, I imagine that sand might be harder to clean and more prone to being disturbed and discolouring the water but its better for Corydoras?
Cheers

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Sand is easier to clean, the muck and mulm stays on top. With gravel, it all seeps between the rocks and is a horror to clean, especially if you disturb the gravel.
Sand turns black in spots when plants or dead animals are trapped in it. But mixing it and siphoning the water will clean that. My plants love sand far better than gravel, much more natural too.
Sand is better for all bottom dwellers, more smooth and safer for the ones without scales.

Pofke13LT

Dr. Funkenstein
Oct 1, 2010
Grayslake, IL
Real Name
Povilas
I just set up a new tank with pool filter sand, and I must say it really makes me want to tear up my other tanks that use gravel and chuck it n replace with sand... Sand is SO much easier to clean... Sand shows poop easier, but unlike gravel the poop and food doesnt get lost into the cracks of the gravel requiring you to stir the debris all up to suck it up... At $6 for 50lbs of pool filter sand its cheaper too... Looks cooler.

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I think there are pretty much the same amount of advantages to disadvantages for both. I have small gravel/pebbles in my tank with the corys and they seem to love it. The gravel kind of captures the food for them so my rainbows don't get to it all. Cleaning it isn't hard at all either. IMO its up to you, which look do you like better?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Sand (specifically PFS) is cheap and easy to clean. We use it in most of our FW tanks. The one downside that I've seen is diatom blooms from the increased silicates.

Haydn24

Boo!
Jun 28, 2010
Australia
Real Name
Haydn
If you buy high grade sand like silversand it's awesome! Much better than gravel I think.

Celes

AC Members
Nov 20, 2010
Seattle
Gravel sucks to clean...everything gets trapped in little nooks and crannies. I'm about to set up a new tank with sand. =)

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Sand. It's beautiful, natural, soft for bottom dwellers, extremely easy to clean, and plants love it. I stopped using gravel ages ago except in small amounts just to add textural appeal to certain setups. Sand is the way to go in almost every situation.

reefdiver

AC Members
Oct 1, 2010
Arkansas
Real Name
Rene
the only thing ppl havent mention is you may need some mts snail to stir your sand. You can also do this after you clean the top, run your hand trough it. This will prevent the toxic pockets from forming.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store