Stingray and a stocking question??????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

miketyler

AC Members
Apr 24, 2007
but if the advice is wrong y give it if you dont know? i didnt ask if the ray was too big for the tank I already knew he wasnt!!!!

Last edited:

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
mmmkay, a 180 aquarium is 18 inches wide. stingrays need a tank width of at least 2x their diameter. The hystrix has a 14" disc when it matures.

Simple math here.

2 time 14 = 28

So, according to the expert quotation you just recently posted, 28" is the minimum tank width for your stingray.

your tank is 18" wide.

Last edited:

nickmcmechan

Proudly Scottish
Feb 25, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
mmmkay, a 180 aquarium is 18 inches wide. stingrays need a tank width of at least 2x their diameter. The hystrix has a 14" disc when it matures.

Simple math here.

2 time 14 = 28

So, according to the expert quotation you just recently posted, 28" is the minimum tank width for your stingray.

your tank is 18" wide.

Suck on that.
now now legendaryfrog, telling the numpty to 'suck on that' wont get anywhere - you are a mod after all!!

legendaryfrog

Nov 25, 2006
There. I edited my last post.

For now, your ray is fine. But once it grows, it wont have any room to turn around.

skateroffallen

AC Members
Mar 18, 2007
ya man i would listen and listen carefully to legend's advice. he is very very educated on these matters. im not telling you how to run your life or how to keep your fish, im just saying that you came here for advice and yet when people give you advice you basically say that they are wrong.

miketyler

AC Members
Apr 24, 2007
k first of all like I said earlier i dont know where you got 18" width i said I have a 30 obviously you didnt read!!!!! hay do you have a ray or just going on you **** for brains because your the only one that doesnt know about this i have asked alot of ray keepers this very question and every single one says its ok!!!! you are a mod and you didnt even know this read up on the animal instead of hearing from other people I have done my research several different sites and people in pet stores.... you show me supporting evidence that i need this massive tank like you say for 1 HYSTRIX id love to see it and i already showed you 3 links to say it was good i can find more...
HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A HYSTRIX BEFORE?

Mar 29, 2007
i dont know why nobody mentioned it, but arent bala sharks schooling fish?

Quoting from live aquaria:
It requires a large aquarium with driftwood, rocks, and spots of dense vegetation. This shark does best in small groups of 3 or more, as they prefer to school in the aquarium. Unfortunately, the breeding habits of the Bala Shark have not been documented.

Not saying you should get anymore since it would overstock your tank, just letting you know

More sources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bala_shark

Last edited:

legendaryfrog

Nov 25, 2006
whoa whoa whoa take a chill pill man....

I believe youre tank is 30 inches deep, not 30 inches wide. It doesnt look like its 30 inches wide...

Nobody saying you need a MASSIVE tank, just enough to give the ray some room. Length wise, your tank is fine. Once the ray gets bigger though, it wont even have enough room to turn around.

And for your information, I dont own a ray now, as I'm in the process of constructed my new home, but from the years 1999 to 2005 I kept 3 motoros and 2 "teacups" (hystrix) in a 400 gallon pond. The hystrics grew to have a 9 inch diameter disc.

I believe this thread should be closed, as its impossible to get at this guy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store