Tank Crash Disaster - Trying to salvage what I can

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Bio, here's a recipe that worked for Kivstev in treating his Convict for finrot, but Kanamycin taken internally in their food would really help. Here's his recipe:

"I dissolved 300mg Kanamycin in 2 TBSP warm dechlorinated water and then added about 1 or 2 TBSP small food pellets - just enough to soak up all the liquid (sorry I didn't weigh this). I fed this to the fish twice daily - about as much as I would normally feed them each feeding. He gobbled it up. I fed nothing else during this time.

I'm on day 8, but the fish should be fed this anywhere from 7-10 days.

If no results are seen, feed at least 5 days before stopping meds to avoid increasing bacterial resistance."

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
You could also mix up some snello and once cooled, but before it has set, you could add the Kanamycin to it in quantities of about 2 tablespoons of snello per 300mg of Kanamycin, pour that on a styrofoam plate and refridgerate. Mix up several doses of that with the snello, pouring separate blobs onto a styrofoam plate. Then cover with saran and refridgerate. Feed your fish this if you can get them to eat it.

Either the above method or the soaked pellet method that Kivstev used, whichever would be easier for you.

Bio, I would do big water changes every 24 hours just before dosing with meds. Be sure to keep the salinity correct in the replacement water.

If you have evaporation over night, before you siphon and replace the water you need to bring the water level up to the level prior to evaporation, with dechlorinated, but not salted water. Then siphon off the desired water and replace with the 3% salt water. This way your salinity percentage won't be creeping up over the 3% desired level.

(I'd do as big as you comfortably can - I did 80-90% but if you think that is too much and would stress them too much I'd do at least 75%),

Last edited:

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Erythro won't work on Columnaris... You have got to get either Maracyn II or Kanamycin/Furan 2. I would go with the latter combo if at all possible.

Bring the salinity up slowly to 3% in the tanks. This has been found to overall reduce mortality and helps stop the spread of it to uninfected fish, and is believed to slow it down in fish already infected.

Drop temperature to 75 or 76 as soon as you safely can.
Erythro won't work? Well... I guess it's better than nothing for now. Unfortunately, It will be difficult for me to get Maracyn II or Furan 2. I'll have to see what the hours are of the store near me that carries those. I work from 9 am to 6 pm every day until xmas.

I have already added salt, so at least I got that right.

I also lowered the temp, should drop to around 72-73.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
As suggested by MsJinkzd on the chat, I did a salt dip for the gudgeon who is worst off. He is still alive, so I guess we'll see what the morning brings. The other gudgeons are doing well. My bro said after he did the WC, he was picking out the snails (which were dead), and one of them attacked the stick he was using. That seems good.

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
Seriously Mel, you're a genius. You could probably make a fortune doing housecalls. best of luck with the outbreak.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Seriously Mel, you're a genius. You could probably make a fortune doing housecalls. best of luck with the outbreak.

LOL, sorberj... thanks for that, but I learned from the fish gurus here:worthy:; have had to nurse a few sick fish, and other critters; and I like to dig into study and research on FW illness and disease.

I think the salt dips are a good idea, too, Bio.

Btw, was it the snail, or the fish that attacked the stick? lol. I want to see that Rambo snail, if he was the one that went ballistic.:D

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Wow! Another mishap when you just got thru one?

When this mishap is over, perhaps you should review/track back your method of fish keeping or acclimation procedure in order to minimize future mishaps.
It could happened to anyone at anytime no matter how well one does but it wont hurt trying to eliminate what may be simple thing.

I do agree with most as far as choice of med but since dosed with EM, should give it a chance due to fact that we can only speculate/take wild guess with determiantion of possible pathogen(s).

My first choice would've been Oxytetracycline, terramycin. If this is not avail, my second choice would be Maracyn II (I hope the ingredient is still Minocycline). These are both derivatives of Tetracycline.

As far as mixing Kanacyn with food, I would definitely avoid such with any aminoglycosides, which Kanamycin falls under which has side effects of damaging kidney (nephrotoxicity). The extend of its damage to fish's kidney are unknown but why risk knowingly that it may heal one but may caused other major/permanent complications.

From what I can see from pics, I really dont see the urgency to mix the Kanamycin with food. If need to used Kanamycin or Kanamycin/nitrofurazone, just apply to water.

Remember not to mix two different types of antibiotics unless came mixed by mfr.

If you have a dog/cat, you may want to contact your vet and ask for pssibility of obtaining Chloramphenicol. I know this is banned (so is Kanamycin due to its nephrotoxicity on us) but maybe avail for pets. Consult your vet, if and when possible for its availability/dosage and/or legality .
Hope all goes well!

snoopy65

I am Sam aka Snoopy65
Aug 24, 2008
Where the ducks walk on the fish, PA
Anna, I wish I could help! But you are in the best hands with Mel. Routing for you and your fishes and critters. If you need to replace snails or want some of my endler fry after all of this is over, just shoot me a pm. I will get a box sent to you.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
LOL, sorberj... thanks for that, but I learned from the fish gurus here:worthy:; have had to nurse a few sick fish, and other critters; and I like to dig into study and research on FW illness and disease.

I think the salt dips are a good idea, too, Bio.

Btw, was it the snail, or the fish that attacked the stick? lol. I want to see that Rambo snail, if he was the one that went ballistic.:D
Lol, wow, I didnt word that well. It was a gudgeon.

Would have been one slooooow attack if it was a snail. :)

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Thank you, everyone! You guys are really great. You have made me feel much better. I will update tomorrow on everyone's condition as soon as I can, which will be some time after 6, unfortunately. Till then, just keep your fingers crossed.

At least I think I know what caused this. When I added the new gudgeons, I must have overloaded the biofilter. Caused a spike of either ammo or nitrite. I'm pretty sure on this, because when I dumped Prime in, everyone perked up a bit. Also, my brother said the remaining fish perked up a lot after the water change. Thank goodness I had that Prime, or I wouldn't have had a fighting chance. Gonna have to get more of that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store