Tank Crash Disaster - Trying to salvage what I can

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kivstev

AC Members
Mar 19, 2009
Good info Mel. I was considering ordering some of that Chloramphenicol as I mentioned in the other thread, but your post may have changed my mind. However, I'm guessing the farmer that treated his cattle with it also ate some steaks, and I don't plan on eating my fish. ;)

I've read a few sources where approximately 1 in 30,000 people that were actually prescribed the drug actually developed Aplastic Anemia. It is apparently still in wide use in many countries.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
Right, Kiv. The worrisome part is that there's a percentage of people that have a special sensitivity to it and develop Aplastic Anemia after a very minimal exposure.

I'd be one of those, probably, lol.

I didn't get it for my frog, after all, though I would have, had the cost been more reasonable. I was prepared to use extreme caution and appropriate disposal.

Chloramphenicol is miraculous in its effectiveness in treating Chytridiomycosis in frogs, even those on their death beds, so to speak. New Zealand researchers discovered this, and found it to work even on frogs that were too sick to care that they were being handled; they laid them on their backs and treated them with Chloramphenicol.

It brought about a cure in a very high percentage of infected frogs, and not only that, it seems to confer some immunity to reinfection. They are researching the potential use of it in the natural environment, though I don't know how they can safely do that considering the dangers to humans.

Last edited:

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Chloamphenicol have beend used for many many years in fish industry until labelled as controlled substances (pretty much before many meds avail today). I dont know what its status is in Europe but this has proven to be very very effective against many common diseases as their literaturres have described such.
Germans were far more advanced than most US hobbyist back in 70's and 80's. Thanks to Internet, info are avail at any where and @ anytime nowdays so I can not render opinion as far as who is more advaced, not that it matters..

When I met some advanced German Hobbyists and even some amateur hobbyists, I had impression that they have developed/practiced more natural way of handling fish tank which I AGREE TOTALLY. HOwever, I will leave this issue to each individual.

Athough my local water sources do not contain NH2Cl except during sporadic heat wave and depending on location, I had run in with tap containing NH2Cl on couple of occassions. I Dont recall [conc] but found that no need for dechlorinator when one ages water at high temp. I always had reserve running including rain water vat.

I really dont know why so many hobbyists, even seasoned hobbyists, have to deal with NH3/NO2 problem.
If one has (1) well established tank, should never experience such problems when one utilizes the water from well established tank.
Plus utilize the fact that toxicity of NH3 is pH dependent and toxicity of nitrite can be reduced by adding salt as nitrite is virtually non toxic in s/w etc, etc, etc.

Getting back to med. The effectiveness of med really depends on accurate diagnosis which is close to impossible in many cases.

Dont waste your mony on microscope either. Trying to magnify micron sized bacteria thru commonly avail microscope is NONSENSE. And having microscope is one thing, correctly identifying one is another. Microscope alone is not the way.

I will spend that money establishing new fish room, lol.

Also, reading or obtaining some info on medicatin on-line is advisable but just relying on simple info from online may yield disaters. I dont mean to upset anyone here but when I first joined this and other forums, it appeared to me that all hobbyists seemed to be biochemist/pharmacist/microbiologist/fish pathologist, etc, etc, etc. Bit surprised and concerned.

Anyway, looking forward to pics of healing process taking place.

Stargazer53

AC Members
Oct 4, 2006
Good luck, Bio. I'm really really sorry to hear of this crash. Don't be too bummed; this is all part of the fish-keeping/learning process. I'm assuming this is the tank with all the healthy fat and happy guppy babies/fry? Huge bummer. I love all my fish but especially my guppies. I hope everything works out for you. Have a Happy Holidays.

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Okay, first an update, then a little clarification.

Amazingly, the one gudgeon is still alive. I'm even cautiously optimistic that he may be doing better. He seems to be swimming a little better, and doesn't seem so icky looking.
Here are some pics, for you to decide if I'm just trying to see things.

I also did 50% WCs on both of those tanks.

Now the clarification.
The whole gudgeon thing is a tad confusing, and in my haste, I didn't explain it really well.
I have 5 gudgeons currently.
Gudgeons 1 thru 3 came from Mgamer, and have been in the ten gallon tank since early Dec. Gudgeons 4 and 5 were a surprise gift from a friend, from a pet store in TN. They were put in the ten gallon tank last Friday.
Gudgeon #5 went missing the day after I put him into the tank, and as mentioned earlier, was presumed dead.
Yesterday morning, #5 reappeared, covered in stringy white stuff. Guppies were dead or at the bottom, gudgeons were at the top, pop eye on some of the guppies, etc etc etc.
I did the stuff listed previously, moving #5 to the QT tank, brother doing WCs, him adding erythro, etc.
I came home, and #5, who was in the QT, looked 110% better. However, #4, the OTHER gudgeon from TN, was messed up now. I switched them, and did another WC.
So, I think whatever it was that they had, either the erythro, the salt, or the WC in the QT tank did a LOT of good, as it completely turned around #5.
#4 is the one pictured above, who is still in the QT tank, being treated with salt and erythro.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Where are you located, Cerianthus? The general area, not the exact location, of course.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Anna, things look better for sure. Keep up the good work. I'd keep up the big daily w/c and keep up with salt and erythromycin.

Were you adding salt to the tanks, or doing salt dips? On second thought, I don't know for sure, though, if continued salt dips are necessary. I'd like to see what others think of that.

EDIT: Just noticed you said you have salt in th QT. I think I'd continue with that.

Those are some good photos. The fin damage definitely looks like some pictures I've seen of fin damage from ammonia.
I don't see anything that looks absolutely, definitively like Columnaris in these pics.

Last edited:

BioHazard

Here and There
Mar 15, 2009
PA
Anna, things look better for sure. Keep up the good work. I'd keep up the big daily w/c and keep up with salt and erythromycin.

Were you adding salt to the tanks, or doing salt dips?

Those are some good photos. The fin damage definitely looks like some pictures I've seen of fin damage from ammonia.
Good to hear. I will continue daily WCs. Is 50% enough? I'll keep the salt and erythro in the QT, and the salt in the 10, as none of those guys had the long term issues that #4 did.
I added salt to both tanks, and also did a dip for #4.
Why are my best photos of sick fish??? :headshake2:
Yeah, those do look like ammo burns. Especially photo 3, on the dorsal. You can see the little rays sticking up without any webbing. Poor guy.
That ammo sure spiked fast!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store