tank suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Yup... Just be prepared for the possibility of a traumatic event. I've heard mixed things about bettas & adf, too. ADF's losing fingers & toes...

Not just the frogs... attempting to eat a frog can't be good for a betta, either

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
lol. And i'll be prepared but not expecting ... I hate expecting the worst

I can tell the difference between ACF's and ADF's :) luckily I am good at those things :) And I will be sure to get one :)

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
ADFs require a meat diet, and often hand-feeding to make sure they get enough to eat, so they're bit of work. Just FYI.

As for your betta, you just won't know until other creatures are in there if he will ignore them, attack them outright or just make them miserable by nipping. Three of my four otos lost pieces of their caudal (tail) fins to one betta girl ... and my beautiful blue ramshorn lost its antennae to the other betta girl. :( My plan now is to divide my 6.6g for my betta girls, and skip adding any tankmates at all. That's not what I wanted at all, but at least I have that option. If you have problems, you just end up having to rehome fish or return them to the LFS.

Believe me, your betta will be spectacular in a 10g, and you can have a lot of fun with live plants and aquascaping. It will also be easier for you to maintain water quality. (Your goal should be zero ammonia/nitrites. I don't believe any measurable amount, even .1 ppm, is safe.)

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
ADFs require a meat diet, and often hand-feeding to make sure they get enough to eat, so they're bit of work. Just FYI.

As for your betta, you just won't know until other creatures are in there if he will ignore them, attack them outright or just make them miserable by nipping. Three of my four otos lost pieces of their caudal (tail) fins to one betta girl ... and my beautiful blue ramshorn lost its antennae to the other betta girl. :( My plan now is to divide my 6.6g for my betta girls, and skip adding any tankmates at all. That's not what I wanted at all, but at least I have that option. If you have problems, you just end up having to rehome fish or return them to the LFS.

Believe me, your betta will be spectacular in a 10g, and you can have a lot of fun with live plants and aquascaping. It will also be easier for you to maintain water quality. (Your goal should be zero ammonia/nitrites. I don't believe any measurable amount, even .1 ppm, is safe.)

:iagree:

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I'm saying its come down that much already and its detoxified. i'm willing to do the work to feed them :) It relaxes me :)

And the guppies are in with him not and he charged for a minute then just left them alone lol

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
he may get along with the guppies but adding more might just push him over the edge. They may tolerate other creatures too a certain point and once that line is crossed they go nuts

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii

:iagree:

Sorry to hear about your nipped fins & antennae!

I had a young 3/4" female Endler (plain bronze coloration) in with my Sephy for over a month... Emphasis on "had".

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
And the guppies are in with him not and he charged for a minute then just left them alone lol
This is exactly what Sephy did to my Endler girl... I guess he finally caught her. :(

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
the tank is well planted and if i just get a few things that will stay out of his way everyone should be ok :) ... I think

I'm gonna give him time and observe him

My betta is fed blood worms and sundried shrimp ... Do they need live meat? ADF's i mean

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Wait, I'm confused ... You already have guppies and the betta in the tank? Why add more now? Let the tank get established, and see how the fish get along. You might luck out.

The difficulty with guppies and bettas, is that the betta sees fish of a similar size with flowing fins and considers them competition. Once your betta decides the tank is his, he may very well go after them. Sounds like that's what happened with fishycat's endler. (Sorry to hear about that, fishycat. I hope the poor thing went quickly.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store