tank suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Thanks, H20gal... Me too!

Sounds like a good idea - besides there's no need to rush. Get everything situated & give Tatsu a month or so to settle in before thinking of adding to the tank.

Oh, and I hope your guppies are all male!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
MY two guppies are sisters. Only female. Neither pregnant and no flowy fins since they are females and not fancies just feeders ... And just two guppies and a betta ... Adding two ADF's wont over stock the tank will it?

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
It'd be pushing it. IMO I wouldn't do it...

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I had a betta and an ADF in a 15 gal tank, they got along great for about a month then one day I came home and there were frog legs sticking out of the mouth of the betta.

Crazy! I have ALWAYS have ADF's in with my Bettas and they never pay any attention to them.. I agree,. your betta must had had a pretty big mouth - were the frogs still babies?? I have 2 tanks with ADF & a betta and they are all fine. NO missing toes or even any notice between the two..

I would think 2 guppies, 2 ADF's and 1 betta would be okay stocking-wise (I actually have more than that in a 10G .. well, swap out one guppy for 5 dwarf cories & a zillion pond-snails..and it is fine)... just needs reeally regular water maintenance.. BUT.. again.. the compatability of betta & guppies is up in the air. Might be fine.. might not. Might be fine for a while, might come home 2 months from now and find dead guppy.. hard to say.. so you will have to watch.

Every pairing of fish varies, and every betta has a different personality, so it is always hard to judge..

Definately if you already have the betta & guppies, wait a while & see how it goes..

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I just want some active fish to watch ... I could feed the ADF'd no problem :) I want to try him with these bettas and if it fails then no more tank mates ... but if it succeeds would putting two ADF's in be ok? Tank stocking wise

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Female guppies can get bigger than male bettas.

FYI, for what it's worth, one if my male bettas has started charging my full grown female endlers. These are nearly 1.5" long & plain like female guppies. The really crazy part, is that he ignores the neon tetras in the tank.

I'd say stick with these 3 fish. They have enough room to avoid each other, if needed. They're also both the type of fish that swims through all levels of the tank.

If you just can't live without ADFs, get rid of your guppies. Still, it will ALL depend on your betta accepting ANY if them in HIS tank.

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
E you told me on AIM that you were returning the Goldfish and the Guppies and just sticking to Tatsu....what happened?

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I never said I was giving up the guppies. I have always planned to keep them. I also now have two ghost shrimp in the ten gallon just to get situated Tatsu will be moved as soon as I trust the water. Your right I will wait a month see how he does with guppies and shrimp and see if I wanna add two ADF's :)

For some reason my bettas are about 4 months old but they are only half an inch ... They are tiny and he only charges if its straight in front of his face and once he sees its not messing with him he swims away ... He's such a relaxed guy but inquistive and bold ... He'll swim right up to my hand just to check it out :) he's the best betta I've ever had :)

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall: :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
*hugs ballyhoo*

I never said I was giving up the guppies. I have always planned to keep them. I also now have two ghost shrimp in the ten gallon just to get situated Tatsu will be moved as soon as I trust the water. Your right I will wait a month see how he does with guppies and shrimp and see if I wanna add two ADF's :)

For some reason my bettas are about 4 months old but they are only half an inch ... They are tiny and he only charges if its straight in front of his face and once he sees its not messing with him he swims away ... He's such a relaxed guy but inquistive and bold ... He'll swim right up to my hand just to check it out :) he's the best betta I've ever had :)
Ghost shrimp, guppies and a betta ... and you say you've had bettas before ... Frankly, I don't understand how many you have now. When you say "they" are only 4 months old, how many fish are you taking about?

To be blunt about it, could we please have a complete list of every critter you're planning to put in that 10g? It's rather annoying that you keep telling us about fish/inverts you already have while you're asking what you can add to the tank. We can't possibly help you, if we don't have the whole story.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store