test kit $$$

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marxman187

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
Whoops. Scolded.

Okay, if your nose is burning it does sound like ammonia. You do really need the test kit, but if you really can't afford it right now then water changes are your best bet. Do you have water conditioner?

so do you think ill affectively be able to lower this with water changes alone? **** i nkow my lfs has got to be full of it because ive narrowed it down to either lack of oxygen or water condition

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
If you can smell ammonia, your levels must be toxic. definately do some major water changes. Also you could at least pick up some test strips or something for now to get an idea where your water params are, the strips are fairly cheap. Online the API freshwater master test kit is about half the price as it is at petsmarts store, print the page (from petsmart.com) and the store will have to match it. or just buy an ammonia test kit.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...st+kit&kw=test+kit&parentPage=search&keepsr=1

Marxman187

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
is the bucket you use for water changes dedicated only for water changes?

any smell you have as a result of the water in the tank will smell the same in the tank.(you should be able to smell it when you open up the tank for maintenance)

yes it is only for water changes and i can barely get a hint of the same smell of the tank but not bearly as strong and doesnt urn of course of the tank

Marxman187

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
I would recommend you use Prime or Stress Coat personally. And save for that test kit, they are $30 at PetSmart with a price match.

How old is this tank? As in, how long has it been set up? How long have fish been in it? Did you cycle the tank before you added fish?

the tank has been set up about 2 years but lets just say the previous owner wasnt very caring.4 fish in there pleco,gaurami,and two danios have been in there 2 years the new additions wher the oscar and jd (about a month ago) which will be in their own tank soon.im so far only having problems with weird behavior in the gaurami and jd. the gaurami basically only for a day and the jd preety much ongoing but sometimes much worse than others. im trying to upload a quick video of one of his little flashing/twitching episodes but they get much worse than i was able to capture. everytime i do a wc they seem a little more active for several hours..... lack of oxygen? or signs of amonia?

Marxman187

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
If you can smell ammonia, your levels must be toxic. definately do some major water changes. Also you could at least pick up some test strips or something for now to get an idea where your water params are, the strips are fairly cheap. Online the API freshwater master test kit is about half the price as it is at petsmarts store, print the page (from petsmart.com) and the store will have to match it. or just buy an ammonia test kit.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...st+kit&kw=test+kit&parentPage=search&keepsr=1

well im beggining to question either the smarts of my lfs or the ability of the color test strips because im preety confident that its the water. but buying only the amonia test kit isnt a bad idea becaue ni and na arent as lethal right?

Marxman187

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008

well im beggining to question either the smarts of my lfs or the ability of the color test strips because im preety confident that its the water. but buying only the amonia test kit isnt a bad idea becaue ni and na arent as lethal right?

Last edited:

ZSandmann

Obey the Corgi!
Jun 25, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Real Name
John
Alright a few more questions.

What size is the tank?
How often did you change the water before this began to happen?
What filter do you have, and do you have anything else such as a bubbler or airstone?

I think you may be overstocked or the new fish brought some kind of infection into the tank.

Marxman187

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
Alright a few more questions.

What size is the tank?
How often did you change the water before this began to happen?
What filter do you have, and do you have anything else such as a bubbler or airstone?

I think you may be overstocked or the new fish brought some kind of infection into the tank.

29 gallon,about 50 % once a week a soon as i got the new fish but like i said the owner before was very ignorant and said ... (you might want to sit down for this) about three times a year! nope no bubbler but im starting to think i should get one because im trying to find out the problem and oxygen seems likely to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store