test kit $$$

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marxman187

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
The new filter was what I was afraid of. I don't think you have the proper bacterial colony for those fish. Here's an idea to catch the pleco. Place the picture in the tank overnight and place a blanched cucumber slice in it. Pretty much certain the pleco will go right in.

aahhhh see thats the kind of answer i was looking for. i have chased the thing around the tank several times and all it does is stress me and the other fish out. i will be sure to try this thanks

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
i think the best thing for you and the fish at this point would be to find them a new home. take a few days to see if you really want to have fishkeeping as a hobby, and then start again slooowly. take enough time to do research on the fish you like, how to cycle the tank and keep it safe, build up your budget for things you need like test kits, proper heaters, medications, chemicals, hospital tank, etc. before you try again. that way you can be prepared the next time you buy some fish. this is supposed to be overall a fun, relaxing, and enjoyable hobby, not a horrible stressful mess.
:iagree:

You haven't said exactly what filter etc. you are running but said it was a 'kit' from Walmart and s****y, so I can pretty much guarantee that you do not have enough filtration for the JD and Oscar even WITHOUT the pleco, which just makes the bioload in that tank insane. Combined with the fact that your tank is not cycled....not good. And I know you said you 'plan' to upgrade to a bigger tank for the JD and Oscar within a few months, but, especially considering that you right now can't afford a liquid test kit (which run about $20-$30 here), I would not keep those fish to put in a tank that you may or may not get -- large setups are EXPENSIVE (much more so than a 29G walmart kit and a test kit...) and who knows what may happen between now and then with your money situation. And if something happens and it turns out you can't afford a whole new setup, then your fish will definitely die. If you care about their health and comfort, I would try to rehome all the fish and start over, after doing a ton of research, as watauga said above.

Marxman187

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
:iagree:

You haven't said exactly what filter etc. you are running but said it was a 'kit' from Walmart and s****y, so I can pretty much guarantee that you do not have enough filtration for the JD and Oscar even WITHOUT the pleco, which just makes the bioload in that tank insane. Combined with the fact that your tank is not cycled....not good. And I know you said you 'plan' to upgrade to a bigger tank for the JD and Oscar within a few months, but, especially considering that you right now can't afford a liquid test kit (which run about $20-$30 here), I would not keep those fish to put in a tank that you may or may not get -- large setups are EXPENSIVE (much more so than a 29G walmart kit and a test kit...) and who knows what may happen between now and then with your money situation. And if something happens and it turns out you can't afford a whole new setup, then your fish will definitely die. If you care about their health and comfort, I would try to rehome all the fish and start over, after doing a ton of research, as watauga said above.

i finally got a test kit and everything was fine except my amonia was a tad to high but suprisingly not at a lethal level yet.for the past three days i have done a 50% wc every day so by now i think the water is safe and i plan on doing 50% water changes 3 times a week until i get a bigger tank. i just got approved for my surgery so i should be back to work in no time but i just cant see myself giving away my fish i love so much unless i thought they where really unhappy or dying.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
how bad does it have to be before you start thinking they might be unhappy and unhealthy in that tiny, underfiltered, overstocked tank? your "love" for the fish is blinding you to the true situation. sometimes loving your pet means finding it a safe and healthy home, even if that home is not with you. it's nothing to feel bad about.

Marxman187

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
Keep up the water changes, You'll need a 100g+ tank soon though as oscars grow really quickly and are very messy.

you dont think a 55 galloon would house the jd and oacar alone for a year or so?cuz thats what i was planning on getting but you think 100 is really min?

lucy42083

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY
Yeah 100G would be the minimum if you kept both the oscar and the JD. If you just kept one OR the other, I'd still say absolute minimum of 75G. I know it's tough to give up pets once you've become attached, but it's in their best interest. A 29G could be a great, peaceful and healthy community tank with the right fish in it.

duke33

Hillbilly MFKer
Dec 3, 2007
central WV
you dont think a 55 galloon would house the jd and oacar alone for a year or so?cuz thats what i was planning on getting but you think 100 is really min?
Not enough room. To many water changes can end in disaster also. Sounds like you don't have the money to keep these guys. Find a good home for them and start fresh. You need to cycle a tank (you'll just have to read up on that). After, slowly add fish. Look around the pet stores. DO your homework! Fish are more demanding than cats or dogs, At times. Good luck with your new hobby, listen to these guys, they know what they are talking about. Good fishkeeping. Duke.

fulltank.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store