test kit $$$

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I cannot view the video without a password.

Ok, you have a 29G tank. What are you using for a filter? What media do you have in it? How often do you clean the filter?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
at the very least ask for the EXACT numbers when you have the LFS test your water. don't let them just say it's good or bad. if they won't give you the actual numbers for the test result, stop going there.

as far as the pleco - no, you definitely can't use a net. try a small plastic bucket or a clean pillowcase.

galen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2007
NY
well, marx, on ebay test kits usually go for pretty cheap. also, ive used the tetra laborette kit for years and it is by far the best ive used. i have tried the aquarium pharmaceuticals, the red sea, and a few others, but only the tetra one really was easy, cheap, and very accurate. the red sea one was pretty nice though too.

here's a link to the red sea kit on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/RED-SEA-FRESH-L...ryZ20756QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here's the tetra test kt:
http://www.petsolutions.com/Deluxe-Tetra-Test-Kit+I46716629+C46.aspx

Marxman187

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
at the very least ask for the EXACT numbers when you have the LFS test your water. don't let them just say it's good or bad. if they won't give you the actual numbers for the test result, stop going there.

as far as the pleco - no, you definitely can't use a net. try a small plastic bucket or a clean pillowcase.

thats the problem the kit she used was color coded no nubers and i just picked up the only thing i can afford at walmart i now have a test strip kit for amonia and one for ph level and nitrate i know they are not as good as liquid tests but they should be better than nothing for now right? i paid for both test what they want for 1 liquid test so.....?

i tried using a pitcher on him but he wont let me get any where near him and his so big im scared hell hurt one of my other fish running he already put a little cut on his tail from last time

Marxman187

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
I cannot view the video without a password.

Ok, you have a 29G tank. What are you using for a filter? What media do you have in it? How often do you clean the filter?

im not sure it will work anyway ive been trying to put it into a better format from my phone but the password should be swordfish

the filter was bran new 3 weeks ago how often should i change it?i think my filter is a 30-60 but im not sure its watever comes with the walmart 29 gallon setup sorry i cant give more details its a preety ****y hob

Beowulff83

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Wellington Oh,
new filter means new cycle

what brand of filter is in it and what type of media? never wash/rinse filter media in tap water always use tank water or you will kill bacteria

Last edited:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
well youll have to excuse my ignorance on certain fish subject im kinda new at all this but im doing my best to give these fish a good life so hard im stressing my self out to the point im about to have a heart attack.im using aquasafe drops for nuetralizing chlorine is that what you meant?
i think the best thing for you and the fish at this point would be to find them a new home. take a few days to see if you really want to have fishkeeping as a hobby, and then start again slooowly. take enough time to do research on the fish you like, how to cycle the tank and keep it safe, build up your budget for things you need like test kits, proper heaters, medications, chemicals, hospital tank, etc. before you try again. that way you can be prepared the next time you buy some fish. this is supposed to be overall a fun, relaxing, and enjoyable hobby, not a horrible stressful mess.

soonerfan121

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
springfield,mo
The best way to get the pleco out is to use that torn net to chase him into your pitcher that will help reduce the bio load. Twenty five to thirty percent water changes daily and monitor temp to keep even. The big pleco though needs a new home now.

ZSandmann

Obey the Corgi!
Jun 25, 2007
Tuscaloosa, AL
Real Name
John
The new filter was what I was afraid of. I don't think you have the proper bacterial colony for those fish. Here's an idea to catch the pleco. Place the picture in the tank overnight and place a blanched cucumber slice in it. Pretty much certain the pleco will go right in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store