The start of my fish room, woot!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
Very nice!! I cant wait to see pics of it filled with tanks!!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Looks good!

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
Haha I got 2 units like that one but mine are enclosed with front lids and lights in all 3 levels.
Awesome. I got a top for this unit with lights, just haven't added it yet.

I was able to get 5 units of the ones you can find at wal-mart, but we wouldn't been able to get them into the building. It it had a little more ceiling height we could have.. That just ate me up. It was a great deal for them too.

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
We tried one of the shelving units. My hubby tested the weight on them and the steel shelf would flex with him. So we are going the 2x4 way, makes me happy.

We done some measurements the shelves will be 7 feet long, and 20in wide. Height to be later determined, about will be around 72 inches high give or take. Plan to leave a 6 in gap from the top of each tank to the bottom of the 2x4 that makes the next shelf. Should be enough room, we'll test it out as we build. I'm hoping to get one shelf made this coming weekend when he's off work.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
If you are going to be using sponge filters (or other air operated filtration) and you have the available footprint you can stagger the tanks to fit more in. Then you don't have to leave the gap between each level. You can add at least one whole extra row to the rack then. Access is a lot easier.

Of course this doesn't work if you are going to use HOB filtration as you need to leave access to the filter.

6" is pretty tight.

You could also use 1" square steel tubing to run your horizontals to free up more space. It won't bend under weight. Just dado cut the 2x4 uprights to fit the tubing in a notch and then drill a hole through it and secure with a bolt.

You will want to paint the steel tubing and seal it to prevent rust.

Andy

shewolfgeo

AC Members
Oct 14, 2008
Eastern Kentucky
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Shandy
If you are going to be using sponge filters (or other air operated filtration) and you have the available footprint you can stagger the tanks to fit more in. Then you don't have to leave the gap between each level. You can add at least one whole extra row to the rack then. Access is a lot easier.

Of course this doesn't work if you are going to use HOB filtration as you need to leave access to the filter.

6" is pretty tight.

You could also use 1" square steel tubing to run your horizontals to free up more space. It won't bend under weight. Just dado cut the 2x4 uprights to fit the tubing in a notch and then drill a hole through it and secure with a bolt.

You will want to paint the steel tubing and seal it to prevent rust.

Andy
I'll be using sponge filters for all the tanks besides the display unit, it's has it's own filter. I'm actually making my own filters and when I complete the design for them I'll post it, to get some opinions on them. I'm modeling them from like those corner filters you find. Using lava rocks and/or bio rings and floss inside the filters. All I have to do it build the shell of the filter.

I went with a 20 in wide plan so my top shelf I can turn the 10gs side ways to fit more of them in. I thought about doing a shelving unit like in Ted's fish room but the space between the display and wall is only 31 in. I need to have enough room to get in between it and the other wall shelf units.

May look into the steel tubing, just have to discuss it with the man. I have some oil base paint that I plan to use for the 2x4s so that should work for the steel too.

Just need to get everything decide by this weekend. Thanks for the tip with the steel.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I think the oil based paint may bead on the steel (and on the 2x4's too). I would use epoxy based spray paint on the steel and latex on the 2x4's.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store