Two fantail goldfish separated due to chasing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
I had to go to Vancouver yesterday, could not avoid it, and when I got home Spots was sick again. Before we left, my daughter fed him, without realizing he was on light feedings. When I got home around 10pm, he seemed sick, more red veins,and the water was cloudy. I did a water change immediately and another one this morning, both with salt and maracyn2. He looked and acted so well but now, he's bottom sitting. What now? I'm worried.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
Okay, I have had no lights on. I will get more water tester tomorrow. Also more Maracyn2. The other fish may have it too. She acts healthy but I see light coloured veins in her tail. My son will take pics of both fish tomorrow. The 29 gal appears very clean. I have done multiple water changes on the hospital tank and the 29 gal. I will try my hardest to care for both fish. We have been praying for them a lot, too.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
Alright, I did a water change with maracyn2 and no salt. I picked up a test kit today. Weeks ago, I bought one for pH but the range was too low for goldfish. Honestly, though the fish are over 3, I only had the lfs test water samples for me. After I moved, I never tested the water at all:eek: and I'm embarrassed to admit it but since the kids and I have been on our own, my days get busy quickly. Now I need to read the instructions, do the tests and I'll let you know the results. Spots is still sick. Goldie appears to be getting more orange colouring on her tail? she appears completely healthy otherwise.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
Tap water is 7.6 on regular pH test but is 7.4 on the high range test. Though I do not own a machine,I have access to Kangen water,which tests at 8.2. Spots appears to be healing on his tail but is lethargic, bottom sitting and not eating,(he's not asking for food so I'm not giving him any and it keeps his water cleaner, for now). I have done daily water changes on both tanks. The 29 gal still has a faint green hue from the ich medicine but each day it gets fainter. I am trying really hard to save Spots. Goldie eats from my hand. Spots has always been more timid. :)

SANDYBOTTOM

AC Members
Oct 16, 2012
Minnesota
Real Name
Lynn
ph sounds fine.7.5 is ideal.sounds like that is where yours falls at.have you tested both the tank and source water for for ammonia,nitrite and nitrate?it sounds like you need to keep up the water quality.if you do not have the means to get the test kit,i would like you to get them all checked at your fish store.get the actual numbers from them.i think that you may be having problems with your cycle and water quality issues.

you mentioned that your daughter fed them and then you had this problem again. does she overfeed them? i advise against letting her feed them with out you present.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
I talked to my daughter about feedings. Though I am very low income I did buy the full test kit, I owe it to the fish to care for them properly. My kids brought home a virus and two of us are not well but I did the other tests tonight. Nitrites- 0 ppm; Ammonia- the water was completely clear; Nitrates tested a green colour which was not on the charts. I do daily water changes on the hospital tank and have been doing frequent changes on the 29 gal in an attempt to remove the medicine. Today, I only did Spots and the tests. I had to rest. I can retest tomorrow to validate the results. Thank you so very much for your time, your wisdom and your support.

petallamb

AC Members
Feb 28, 2014
Can I run the filter with wool only on the hospital tank? I did for a while then second guessed myself and unplugged it, not wanting to filter out the maracyn2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store