using homemade soil for substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Ke Aupuni Hawaii, Hawaiian Kingdom
Real Name
Huapala
Yep, I'm at the University of Florida in the SWS PhD program.

I've noticed that soil substrates can stabilize once the roots start holding things in place as well. I moved a new dirted tank that quickly became a mess. A year later and there was virtually no disturbance.
Yes this is what I was hoping to achieve quicker with the coconut husks. I plant all of my small balcony plants with cinders, rocks, my home made soil, and coconut husk at the bottom of the pot to slow drainage. I started noticing that they were extremely easy to transplant because the coconut husk bound all the roots together at the bottom and the side took care of themselves while growing in the pot. This is the first time I have scaped a tank and I tried to apply a lot of the same organic gardening techniques I use on my balcony plants. I always make my own ferts and try to produce most of the organic material in my own garden.

That seems like a very rewarding program.

Received a package from Amazon. It is my brand new current satellite LED fresh water fixture! I am so excited, my girl friend waited patiently at the apartment to sign for it. When I got home it was waiting on my bed! I had just purchased a $148.00 32 watt LED Aquarium Panel from Sunshine Systems. I witnessed great things from their horticulture line of LED (the 98watt UFO) it ran my buddies entire 6'x4' grow tent with a variety of fruiting and leafy vegetables. However, my experience with their 32w LED aquarium panel left me frustrated. The output of light was horrible and the focus was much to narrow for my tank, it came with no direct aquarium attachment and the whole thing felt like it could/would fall apart while handling it. I quickly searched the internet and began looking at LED aquarium lights from different companies. I was on the liveaquaria Dr. Fosters and Smith site and was looking at different brands when I saw the current satellite LED and remembered Jpappy mentioning it in his 20gallonL build. Being new to the whole planted aquarium thing I was not too sure what a Current satellite fixture was when he had first mentioned it, but then latter he mentioned in his thread that the current satellite had moon light setting and other low light settings. I was very interested in this product after having recollected those instances so I searched for the product on amazon and there it was. On Tuesday (9/10) I ordered it and because it was only $99.00 I sprung for the priority shipping ($35) and it arrived today :) As soon as I plugged it in I was happy. I quickly switched it to moonlight because it was night time for the tank. The pictures do not do it justice but I will take more tomorrow when I can explore all the awesome color/light effect settings.

These are the moonlight settings you can see that in each picture the lights are dimmer to simulate cloud coverage.
View attachment 209220View attachment 209221
View attachment 209222
Will see if there is in increase in growth or a decrease. The unit is only rated 36 micromols of PAR and I read that with CO2 (which I run in a DIY form but with a sloppily engineered defuser* so who knows how much CO2 is actually consumed by the plants and how much is released from the water's surface) you want to have 40-50 micromols of PAR on the substrate" I do not know how much micromols of PAR was being emitted from the CFLs, but as others have mentioned, consumer CFLs (especially spiraled ones) can have weird spikes in spectrum creating periods of useless light for plants. More pictures to come.

*Note to self ORDER GLASS DEFUSER FROM AMAZON!

"http://www.aquabotanic.com/?p=1484

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Real Name
Huapala
0913130739.jpg
0913130738.jpg0913130740a.jpg
0913130740b.jpg0913130740c.jpg
Yeah I'm digging the whole unit. The remote is pretty awesome with all its presets. Do you think it has enough PAR output for the Rotala magenta I guess we will see.

0913130739.jpg 0913130738.jpg 0913130740a.jpg 0913130740b.jpg 0913130740c.jpg

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Real Name
Huapala
I just had to prune and re plant the tops of my rotala because it had grown taller than the tank height. One of them started to grow two tops with our being pruned (I think it was the transfer from my low light 29 gallon to the highlight of the 20gallon) the one the sprung the two tops was the one closer to the concentration of both lights (CFL 84watt, 6500K, 12inches from substrate, 12hr pp). I will be curious to see how the cuttings respond now that I have lowered my light out put with the LED fixture, I predict -as you have already pointed out with your indica growing experience jappy- that the red will not be as apparent in the new growth under this cs LED. One thing good about this fixture is that it is slim and clean enough to add another fixture of the same out put or higher on the tank (if I want to bring out the reds of my rotala or rescape and want faster growth) without cluttering it.

huapala

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Real Name
Huapala
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store