Wal mart Angels!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
How misinformed you people are. I am the Merchandise Supervisor over pets (as well as paper and chemicals) at my Wal mart. My water quality is probably better than more of your home set ups. We run HUGE sumps with a constant drip and massive bio wheels in the sump. As far as what we can and can't order, that's determined by the vendor. I would love to be able to order what I want but Blue Springs (my areas vendor) only supplies so many different types of fish. But I'm in control of the quantity that is sent to me on a weekly basis. I don't exactly follow the home office game plan because certain types of fish don't sell all that well in my area. I have had customers come in looking for a specific fish and 1 phone call the the area supervisor with Blue Springs and I had it on the next weeks order. As far as care of the fish, yes that is mostly determined by the management of the department as well as the associates working there. I take excellent care of my fish but then again, I'm also a hobbyist.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Sounds like you do a better job than most. I guess the reason for our mess is that it is a training store and what ever comes off the truck is what they get. No special orders allowed at all. I got to be friends with the girl than ran pets and she told me she tried and wasn't allowed. I do however order off the web site and have it sent to the store for pickup.

Our store is also very small. Not much of a variety but at least they have some things.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
FastFly, i would say your Wallyworld is the exception, by the sounds of it. Most have staff that could care less about the fish, at least 99.9% of all big box stores here are like that, teenagers for department managers that just couldn't give a crud.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
I agree, that is an exception. You would be sickened and shocked by the drifts of dead, fungus covered bodies that you see anytime you walk into the fish department at my Walmart. The fish are always beaten and dying. I have tried to save several, but have had to give up because I can't stand to have my heart broke any more after the last liitle black moor I bought. It is awful.

Kristina

Sunshinessmile

ooooo shiny...
Apr 27, 2009
Denver
Real Name
Logan
I really didnt want to turn this in to a debate of care. I was just stunned that a place that normally takes terrible care of there fish has provided above their normal. I did lose one angel. when i pulled it out it looked like it was picked on and had some gashes behind its gills. Now thats not something you can pin on any store.

The rest of them received their first dinner of blood worms last night. they were confused at first then they discovered that chasing the falling worms was great fun. I fed the left overs to my tetras and WOW talk about a feeding frenzy! betta showed mild interest, he prefers the brine shrimp!

I still cant locate the cable but my fiance has just now announced that he knows where it is... so when we leave the coffee shop I will post some pics!

Sunshinessmile

ooooo shiny...
Apr 27, 2009
Denver
Real Name
Logan
Well here are the pictures! I love these guys!

In the last pic you can see the change in gray that the fish went through

DSC08324.JPG DSC08323.JPG DSC08328.JPG DSC08283.JPG DSC08288.JPG DSC08313.JPG DSC08327.JPG DSC08152.JPG

Last edited:

Sunshinessmile

ooooo shiny...
Apr 27, 2009
Denver
Real Name
Logan
they look tiny....mine are bigger lol
yes they are very little. About dime, nickel,and penny sized! But they are growing a ton! they get fed about 3 times a day, very little portions of crushed up flakes. Last night was their first taste of blood worms. they are not so sure about them so I will try again tonight.

they seem to enjoy watching me as much as i do them. the pics that I posted were easy to get because i was scraping the old "stick on the side" thermometer off. they found it fascinating. they were chasing the razor blade as I scraped it!

:tropicalfish:

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
that has to be one of the things i love most about my angels, they have just about as much personality as my oscar, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store