want to switch to a cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LadyBarbara001

Victorian addict
Jun 30, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
I would say easiest to source and care for is generally Malawi, generally Mbuna. They are particularly unfussy about Ph/hardness once is over or around the 7.5 mark or so. Tangs I believe do actually really benefit from very high Ph (8.2) and hardness, and I think they are trickier to stock well in a 55 (ironically easier in say a 40 Long but once you have 55 you can't actually put that many more fish in).

Victorians are hard to find and the aggression is massive.

So I would reccomend you check out Malawis - what's available locally to you ?

NB all of the rift lake species are massively intolerant of poor nitrogen cycle management - nitrates must be kept very very low (shoot for 20 or less) and you need a properly cycled tank.

I have to disagree. Some species of Victorians have higher aggression, but some are not quite as bad. This generalization is similar to saying all mbuna are massively aggressive, which is not true.

I keep a few (like 10) tanks of Victorians, and while some do have aggression problems, most are within reasonable ranges...like keeping a species tank of yellow labs. There will be some chasing, and fighting at times, but nothing that can't be addressed with proper stocking levels.

Mbuna are much easier to locate, that is very true. For a first cichlid tank, I think you are on the right track with the species you are selecting.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Yep I am on board with that - I would probably go for a leeetle more variety, with say 4 groups of 4 fish - say labs, rusties, acei and cynotilapia afra (don't get huge and with this combo you have minimal chance of interbreeding as you have four differnent genus, and no mentallers).
The stocking advice here is good. You do have the option of species tanks as well though. This would be the best way to keep some of the more aggressive species.
Don't discount Peacocks either. There are a few folks here who keep all male tanks successfully. With many Africans, the trick is to avoid species that resemble each other, or at least the males.
The species Coler lists are great because not only are they less aggressive, but both males and females are attractive.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I have to disagree. Some species of Victorians have higher aggression, but some are not quite as bad. This generalization is similar to saying all mbuna are massively aggressive, which is not true.

I keep a few (like 10) tanks of Victorians, and while some do have aggression problems, most are within reasonable ranges...like keeping a species tank of yellow labs. There will be some chasing, and fighting at times, but nothing that can't be addressed with proper stocking levels.

Mbuna are much easier to locate, that is very true. For a first cichlid tank, I think you are on the right track with the species you are selecting.
I have to point out that LadyBarbara knows what she is talking about with victorians far more than I.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
so then the next question is feeding. what and how often?
Feeding is easy. Two minutes a day. Feed a good cichlid food - New Life Spectrum is fantastic. There are others. Put in some cucumber, avocado (zuchini) once a week for a treat. No meat/meaty proteins.

The next real thing you want to plan for is filtration and decor - basically two excellent cannister filters are your best bet (to cope with the over stocking) and a whole heap of rocks - there are some great malawi tanks in the photo forum that show what you need.

LadyBarbara001

Victorian addict
Jun 30, 2008
San Antonio, Texas
Coler, I meant no disrespect. I address the aggression issue a lot...so I have almost a rote response to it.

Honestly, even with the Victorians I am keeping I'm still no expert. I still make mistakes, and wind up with problems. They still manage to surprise me now and again.

I'm much less knowledgeable about mbuna...not having kept a lot of species. I love the coloration and the activity, but I'm just drawn to the endangered fish.

Some Vics truly are aggressive...and interspecies aggressiion can be fairly high. Most are fairly manageable, if you slightly overcrowd them. I've found that one of the most popular species, Xystichromis phytophagus, or Xmas Fulu, to be fairly hard on each other...keeping 3 together is difficult. It takes a few more than that to spread the aggression.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Coler, I meant no disrespect. I address the aggression issue a lot...so I have almost a rote response to it.

Honestly, even with the Victorians I am keeping I'm still no expert. I still make mistakes, and wind up with problems. They still manage to surprise me now and again.

I'm much less knowledgeable about mbuna...not having kept a lot of species. I love the coloration and the activity, but I'm just drawn to the endangered fish.

Some Vics truly are aggressive...and interspecies aggressiion can be fairly high. Most are fairly manageable, if you slightly overcrowd them. I've found that one of the most popular species, Xystichromis phytophagus, or Xmas Fulu, to be fairly hard on each other...keeping 3 together is difficult. It takes a few more than that to spread the aggression.
Not a bother ! Just would not like the OP to take my position over yours as you have the relevant experience & knowledge with the vics and he might not have known that :)

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
Yep I am on board with that - I would probably go for a leeetle more variety, with say 4 groups of 4 fish - say labs, rusties, acei and cynotilapia afra (don't get huge and with this combo you have minimal chance of interbreeding as you have four differnent genus, and no mentallers).
that's good advice too. Afras come in many different varieties, though many have drab females. White top haras are a nice choice. Saulosi (Pseudotropheus saulosi) are also a good option. The males are blue with black stripes while the females are bright yellow. They are also a dwarf species.

ch-47 soldier

AC Members
Mar 17, 2009
that's good advice too. Afras come in many different varieties, though many have drab females. White top haras are a nice choice. Saulosi (Pseudotropheus saulosi) are also a good option. The males are blue with black stripes while the females are bright yellow. They are also a dwarf species.

that was actually my next question (about the demasoni).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store