want to switch to a cichlid tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Demasoni are really nice fish. They have a nasty reputation and seem to do better stocked in groups of say 8 or 10, as opposed to to 3 or 4 you keep most other mbuna (with no more than 2 males in the group). This spreads out the aggression.

They are perceived as having serious emotional problems with other blue/blue striped fish, which they manifest by trying to kill them...so you are best off with differing colourations in the tank.

Labs are good, and if you went down the demasoni route in your tank I'd probably say do 10 Demasoni, 6 Labs and say 6 of an albino species - either zebras, socolofi, Ps. Macropthalmus are all really nice.

The other thing about demasoni is that you either need a good eye/excellent advice to vent them and make sure you are getting the right male/female ratio - although the same can be said for many mbuna, too many male demasoni will definitely result in eh just the right amount of male demasoni...which for male demasoni is 1 :D Joking aside, you may well find yourself having to swap out fish as you spot extra males over the first few months of the tank.

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
that was actually my next question (about the demasoni).
Better leave them out, my friend! Demasoni needs to be in a very large group for their aggression (at least 12) and then you will end with almost a one species tank with that 55gal. Hey, you have nice kids; I can see!

ch-47 soldier

AC Members
Mar 17, 2009
would i be able to keep my albino rainbow shark in the same tank? ive seen tanks with rainbow sharks in them but there were very few cichlids in those tanks.

ch-47 soldier

AC Members
Mar 17, 2009
okay, no shark. you mentioned a couple of canister filters. i already have an emperor 400. would i be able to use it in any way in place of a canister? or should i put it on my wife's tank and get two new canisters? and on that topic, which canister should i get that will do the job but not break my wallet?

rifty_geordie

AC Members
Apr 7, 2009
North East UK
I know of people who have kept them with africans, namely mbuna, never tried it myself. RTS/Rainbow Shark is a territorial fish, and probably will hold its own against mbuna, even to the point of challenging the dominant male, a fight which wouldn't be very nice to see, personally.

You could get away with it, or the fish could be instantly attacked (especially the bright fins). Not a risk I'd take. Also, come spawning time, there's going to be trouble! On a side note, is it just me or do albino's of any type of fish tend to get bullied more than their 'normal' counterparts?

rifty_geordie

AC Members
Apr 7, 2009
North East UK
I know of people who have kept them with africans, namely mbuna, never tried it myself. RTS/Rainbow Shark is a territorial fish, and probably will hold its own against mbuna, even to the point of challenging the dominant male, a fight which wouldn't be very nice to see, personally.

You could get away with it, or the fish could be instantly attacked (especially the bright fins). Not a risk I'd take. Also, come spawning time, there's going to be trouble! On a side note, is it just me or do albino's of any type of fish tend to get bullied more than their 'normal' counterparts?
Oops, I'm a slow typer, Coler got in there before me, with a much shorter answer haha

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
hehehe you go breeze extra work is always fun when i went off my parents took care of my fish tanks.. when i came back the water was green and no fish..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store