What am I?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
More pics now that he is relaxing:

Behavior wise, he's not shy and exploring all over the 20g. When he eats pellets he gill washes. He also thinks he's tough, fighting his own reflection and trying to get at the fish he sees in the next tank over (though he did get his butt kicked by the little mbuna that were in the tank with him at the store, so the tough is all for show).

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
Upon glancing on first two sets of pics and not realizing it is in small tank, I was leaning toward Hap but looking at 3rd set of pics and realized it is only around 1", it reminded me of Young Aequidens Sp (A. pulcher, etc?), especially with that vertical somewhat golden/iridescent vertical stripes.
Not easy to ID thru pics when so small and still adjusting to new setting. Since it has been over or close to 30 yrs when bred many CA/SA, cant remember juvies colorations/patterns to detail.

Whatever it may be, good luck!

Last edited:

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
It's been a month, so I figured I'd update this thread. BFM was correct, he's a baby jaguar cichlid. He's turned into quite a pretty little fish, I can't wait to see how he matures.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
he's looking quite handsome now Labby! and do i get a cookie for the proper identification? lol!

MoonstruckMuse

AC Members
Mar 4, 2007
Neat stuff and a beautiful cichlid! Yay for saving him!
Hahaha, cichlid young are so darn tricky to tell apart...

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike

Lab_Rat

Merry Christmas!
Dec 3, 2009
Deep South
he's looking quite handsome now Labby! and do i get a cookie for the proper identification? lol!
Of course! Good job on the ID!

cookie.jpg

Neat stuff and a beautiful cichlid! Yay for saving him!
Hahaha, cichlid young are so darn tricky to tell apart...
Thanks! They are tough for sure. Little brown/grey fish.

cookie.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store