You will not believe this: Arapaima Gigas in our stormdrain

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Thanks for yr reply.. The metal rack won't easily be pulled out. It's completely inside the sandbag walls. Hope everything still ok when I get there. Morning coffee now, sit outside with ciggy and news/emails on iPad. Then off to work

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
He has been transferred safely to his new home. Looks happy with a lot more space.
Need to get him to eat pellets, but for now I will resort to some feeders on Monday and maybe some meat.
Cleaning lady started with meat purchased from roadside already this morning, but have put a stop to that for fear of bad meat.
Saw his mouth being damaged, so I guess it's a fishing lake escapee. If he survives, hope he will appreciate his new surroundings.

Got some great pics under water. Trying to get a cable, then upload them.
Cheers...
Luc

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Good luck with the pics, can't wait for them!

Sounds like life is pretty hectic for you right now, is that just the flooding?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
This....is one very interesting story. +1 and good on ya.

:cheers:

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Hello FishFriend1, thanks for comment, bit hectic. Restarting the factory with some ups and downs, but as of Friday, at least full 380 Power is restored so I can start using machines.
Another bonus was that all machine-engines where ok. They will still need cleaning, but at least every single one of them started up after 6 weeks of hot dry weather.
Work is very busy, electronic scrap business, so there's loads of that coming in from our customers.

Then the Arapaima showed up, combined with a very busy Friday, we did manage to build that pond..thanks to some of my guys who've been really tired from all those sandbags.

Anyhow, Saturday I had all my people over for New Year dinner and drinks, pond was full and Arapaima transferred.

Pictures..under water..from our new friend.
Not 100% clear and sharp, but first time I used the camera under water.
Obviously I did not jump in and see the display, just dipped it in and estimated the range.
Bloody best purchase for 2011 on its last day..lol. nice little camera.
I went for the water-proof/shock-proof features after falling in floodwater with my phone/camera and iPad...lol. Only iPad survived, Nokia and Nikon gave up.

P1070024.jpgP1070019.jpgP1070017.jpgP1070028.jpgP1070021.jpgP1070018.jpgP1070016.jpg
The pond with the sides pulled up.
P1070030.jpg
You can clearly see the damage to his mouth. Hope that gets better over time. For now it will be a wait and see for a couple of weeks to keep it alive and start eating.P1070025.jpg

P1070024.jpg P1070019.jpg P1070017.jpg P1070028.jpg P1070021.jpg P1070018.jpg P1070016.jpg P1070030.jpg P1070025.jpg

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
In the pictures, the blue pipe is a flexible hose, tied up closed at the end. Pump pushing water through openings in that hose...gives it a spread out flow instead of turning into a centrifuge...

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
So now, I need to at least start planning on a pond at my home.
I have a space of maximum 3.6m x 3.7m available.
Still need to check other things, but if I'd build that pond at about 1.5m deep, my volume would be just under 20,000 liter or 5,200 Gallon (US)..

Rectangular shape, filters can all be out of view and separate from the pond or under a deck at one side of the pond.
Could also use the space under that deck as covered part of the pond, making the pump L-shaped.
It's a cramped area, between two originally separate houses. One of which I am signing the documents for tomorrow, the other one I live in already.

Will need to start checking on building structure again to see what to account for.
Sure it will need piling under the pond and a very thick concrete slap to support.
There's some measuring and checking to be done for sure.

Any advise, plans, tips... please start sending them.

louxrs

AC Members
Jul 15, 2011
I think you did the right thing by not "releasing it back into the wild". First of, you don't know which lakes or rivers have these monsters. You might be the one starting an ecological disaster. And secondly I feel bad for the fish... after seeing what looks like ruptured mouth from gigantic hooks (I see 2 hook marks in your last photo), I think it's better for him to have you taking care of it (obviously, you seem excited with your new pet and is really thinking about your moves) rather than it being "played on" back in a sports fishing lake.

Oh and sorry for the flood, I know it's what introduced you to your friend, but the damages it must've cost must be horrifying. Speedy recovery to every Thai!

louxrs

AC Members
Jul 15, 2011
Sorry for double posting but maybe you should try feeding it with it's normal diet. If you found that size of a fish in a drain, chances are theres more smaller fishes to be found... containers, holes, etc.. You don't want to shock the guy with "new things", he's still acclimating to his new home. Then maybe after a week, try adding meat and pellets.

Hoping for more updates!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store