Desktop Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
just make sure it's ok with work policies.

I work in a large office and they have specific rules about aquariums...size, location,.. etc has to be approved.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
just make sure it's ok with work policies.

I work in a large office and they have specific rules about aquariums...size, location,.. etc has to be approved.
I did. This is a fairly small office and I pinged my direct supervisor and talked to the woman I share my office with.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
Just got a quote from the glass place. $6 for each 1/4 in thick piece cut to size with the edges seamed.

$30 for an all glass nano cube?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
In defense of the guy that refused to service your glass needs, it could simply have been the policy he has to follow, and he probably knows nothing about the needs for aquaria. Like someone else (V, I think) said, just ask for what you need, just don't share what you're going to use it for. In fact, chances are good that you can find that the reason the policy is the way it is is because someone sued them because they built their own 125 out of it, and it broke or something.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
He told me that he's owned lot's of aquariums and that there's a reason they make them out of acrylic and tempered glass.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
Additionally I've never heard of a home improvement store net selling you something because of your project.. unless of course it was overtly illegal... like you went in looking for KNO3 and told the clerk it was for a nail bomb.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
For big tanks, there is a VERY valid reason. Non-tempered glass won't sustain the weight. Keep in mind that water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon. That's a lot of force. For smaller tanks, it's not as big a big deal, but it's still something to keep in mind.

Personally? No way would I build a tank to put in at my office. If it breaks, who will be liable? I'd hate to lose my job because a tank broke, especially if I built it myself.

In terms of not selling you something, pretty much ALL stores retain the right to refuse service for any 'non protected' reason. Refusing because of gender/age/race/sexual orientation, no. Because they think you're trying to do something unsafe, well within their rights if they suspect you will hold them liable in case of failure. If you really push it, the manager would like step in, but at that point, is it worth it?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
uhmmm...just FYI..Usually it's only the bottom panel of glass that is tempered glass.. most often the sides are just normal glass...

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
Okay, It's not like I'm going to be curing my silicone then filling the thing up for the first time at my desk.

I'm not saying that tempered glass isn't used in aquarium building. I'm saying that it's not a requirement in something as small as what I'm planning, nor would I want to use it for the reasons I've outlined earlier.

I understand the store has the right to refuse service, but this during this interaction the employee came off as rude and condescending. Again, he didn't inquire how large my planned project was, and he told me that I HAD to make it out of tempered glass or acrylic and that he knew this because he's owned aquariums. It didn't come off like someone reciting store policy to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store