Desktop Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Yeah this would be a 12" cube.. I'd love one of those deep blue ones but I've only seen them around $50
Well, this was a couple of days ago, and was $29.99, and not at the cheapest of pet stores either.

It might make it worthwhile calling a favorite LFS to see if they could special order for you. I'm not sure what benefit there would be to me listing retail stores in Northeast PA or Northern Jersey. But you could always drop them a line - info@deepblueprofessional.com and ask where any local retailers may be. It can't hurt, and in the name of DIY you'll still want lighting and filtration of some sort.

As for heaters, I've been tempted by the Cobalt neo-therm heaters - http://www.cobaltaquatics.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=33 they seem pretty well made, reliable and small enough to tuck out of the way.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
Oriongirl - I see your point about time and cost if I'm doing a cost benefit analysis. I'll add it in.

I'll have to ask the LFS about those cube tanks see if they can get me one.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Today 6 10 gallon tanks were added to the stock of empties in my household. Total cost for all 6, $18. Local aquarium club auctions are a fantastic way to save money in this oh so expensive hobby! Same applies to buying used equipment, fish, and plants.

I get trying to save money. My point was that making a small tank was NOT saving money because you still have to buy the other items that would be included in a kit of a comparable price. If the point is 'cool to make my own tank' then even raising the cost is moot.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
My spreadsheet price comparison had me within $15 with the all glass cube winning over buying an evolve8 at petco. (Not petco.com) I could probably get it cheaper online, but I can get EVERYTHING cheaper online except maybe the custom glass.

The local aquarium club in providence seems pretty inactive. They had an auction in the spring.. But I haven't seen anything since then.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gypsy125

AC Members
Jun 11, 2010
Santa Rosa, CA
Another option you might want to consider, although it appears that you prefer higher tech setups, is a Diane Walstad method nano tank. I currently have 3 and love them. I prefer to make them in square/rectangular glass vases. I've had booming populations of RCS thrive in them and the upkeep is super easy. Everyone that has seen mine has been impressed - they really can be little works of art. And I love the fact that there are no cords, filters, etc. distracting from the aquascaping and critters.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
The more I think about this the more I don't like the kit options. Mainly because of where I'll be placing it. Because it's not going against a wall, I don't know that I want something with a filter compartment limiting viewing to three sides. Because I want to get the most footprint for my shrimp I think I want to avoid cylinders.

I saw some odd sized small glass tanks at the LFS this weekend, but I was in a rush so I didn't look at what they were. I might go back and see what the sizes were this week.

I like the no-tech Diane Walstad method, I think moving away from the filter would be my biggest struggle.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
I just got another reply from the glass supply store 1/8" glass would be $4/piece. $20 1ft cube..

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
I haven't followed this thread in awhile but the dicussion about tempered glass is pretty inaccurate from your supplier.

Very few tanks are made with tempered glass. When they are, it is generally just the bottom panel that is tempered. Tempering the glass allows you to go thinner to save cost and weight but you can get the exact same strength from slightly thicker plate glass. A tempered glass panel will shatter when the edge is chipped. A plate glass panel will chip but will not shatter. This is why side panels are not made with tempered. Too much of a risk of a catastrophic failure that would just be a chip otherwise.

If you assemble your own tank make sure you account for the thickness of the glass when cutting the side panels.

If you are making a traditional bottom (where the front and side panels rest on top the bottom panel of glass), and using 1/8" glass, you will need to reduce the length of the side panels by 1/4" to account for the thickness of the front and rear panels. If you are making a floating bottom (where the bottom panel rests inside the walls created by the front and sides then the front panels will need to be 1/4" longer than the bottom and side panels.

Floating bottoms are the preferred method for constructing small rimless tanks because it looks nicer. It does require that the tank be placed on a solid topped stand in order to support the bottom however.

Andy

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
I haven't followed this thread in awhile but the dicussion about tempered glass is pretty inaccurate from your supplier.
Yeah that was my whole issue. This was an employee at Lowes who told me that and not my final glass supplier. All I wanted to know from the guy @ Lowes was what thickness glass they sold and he told me I can't use their glass I need to use tempered.

I haven't decided which method I'll use. I like floating bottom, and I've build a spreadsheet to calculate the dimensions for both because I was bored.

Have you made your own before? How hard is floating bottom compared to the traditional method? I'm thinking I'll use 1/8" in glass.. the calculator I've been using on line shows that it should be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store