Desktop Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
I'm actually interest now to see if there is some kind of store policy on this.

Anyway, Back to the topic at hand.

The Aqueon Evolves look pretty nice, and I could easily upgrade the lighting if I wanted to. I'll see what I can get it for through the LFS and make a decision from there. I'll need to do a full parts list so I can do a price comparison against the custom build.

ech0o

Registered Member
Jun 7, 2013
I have a fluval chi on my desk, and absolutely love it, extremely "CHI" promoting with the little fountain/filter box in the middle on top. I will not lie I have heard problems about the filters later in their lives, I can definitely see this as a possibility, but its made up for in sleekness. I have already added a submersible internal filter and filled it with charcoal and bioballs for extra filtration as I plan on housing a messy puffer, but I am sure the filter it comes with does enough on its own for a few small fish. (if you do go with a chi make sure to buy a cover for it, you tend to get a wee bit of splash from time to time as its open top). The chi can grow plants that are right under the filter box but anything to the edges of the tank are going to be devoid of light, and this is a low light scenario in the middle at best.

I have heard the fluval edge has poor quality lighting as well, luckily there are MANY additional lighting options for any tank, as most of the aquarium kits have poor lighting. I went ahead and ordered some linkable LED modules, and am going to put a 4-led square on each corner of my square lid, to finally actually get some plant growth. This is very very cheap, and I was even able to get a remote system so I can control the color spectrum and light intensity! Or you can run a clip on light to most tanks, sitting next to a tank, if you are trying to grow specific plants.

I too have begun exploring the wonderful world of tank building. It is not difficult to do, and with DIY lighting, you can literally turn out a new tank with INSANE lighting effects, for next to nothing!

What temperature do they keep your office at, and is it a constant temperature or does it fluctuate?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Just got a quote from the glass place. $6 for each 1/4 in thick piece cut to size with the edges seamed.

$30 for an all glass nano cube?
How big of a cube?

Deep Blue Professional make a rimless 12" glass aquarium that sells for under $30, there are also smaller sizes available too.

Tru Aqua sell an ~12" cube too for $55 shipped, and it's low iron/lead glass, so really clear. http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-high-clarity-glass-cube-hcc-12.html

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The Aqueon Evolves look pretty nice, and I could easily upgrade the lighting if I wanted to. I'll see what I can get it for through the LFS and make a decision from there. I'll need to do a full parts list so I can do a price comparison against the custom build.
You probably won't need to upgrade lighting, unless you're going for some seriously light hungry build. People put corals in these things.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Well...not to be a buzz kill...but $30 for glass, plus $10 for silicone, plus $10/hour for your time and you're over $50. If you wanted trim on it, that's another $10+.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
Well I don't want trim. I have GE Silicone I ($4) and time? Really? If I was worried about time would I even be considering DIY?

I've already made my own web enabled lighting control with an LCD temp display built into a DIY canopy because I wanted a project. If we're going to factor in time, lets factor it in as cost to you to be an active participant in creating something. $0/hr.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You're worrying about cost. Time is a cost. *shrugs* Just a point. Not saying not to do it, but really, for the cost of a kit that includes the tank, filter, and light, you're not saying money DIY. If you're not saving money and you're not saving time, the point seems to be just to prove you CAN, which is cool, but if that's the motivation don't waffle about the cost of buying pre-made.

ech0o

Registered Member
Jun 7, 2013
OrionGirl I see your point, but if your actively keeping fish, starting new tanks, retiring old tanks, replacing pricey LED fixtures every year, the total costs eventually add up to an insane amount of money. If you can save a buck anywhere, while not having to sacrifice quality(and most of the time far exceed the quality), why not? Most serious fish keepers would love to know how, or already do a lot of their own DIY projects, expensive addiction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store