Is my mystery snail dying?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Arkmite

AC Members
Jul 15, 2017
So recently my fish got some kind of fungus. I went to PetSmart and got Marineland All-In-One Remedy. I put 2 tablets in like the box said to do and things were OK until my mystery snail fell off the side of the tank and landed directly on one of the tablets. He then closed his shell right on top of it and it was locked in his shell with him for 2 days. He didn't move, go get air, eat, or even poke his anything out until i put him in a separate container with conditioned water. Well now he is kind of moving his feelers around and his siphon doesn't want to seem to go up anymore, it kind of strokes the outside of his shell. He wont eat and he looks like he wants to move around but i don't think he can. His little foot or body is now a different color then what it used to be. I put a slice of zucchini in there for him along with an algae wafer and a romaine leaf but nothing. I really don't want him to die, he's my little angel is there something i can do?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Lots of water changes. Keep the water fresh as you can. Freshwater helps most things. Don't offer any food as it will just foul the water and the snail likely won't eat for a while anyway.

I would highly recommend in further treatments that you dissolve the tablets first and then add them to the water, I know the packet doesn't recommend it, but its the safest way to treat with those tablets.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
That doesn't sound very good, sorry. But like Tiff said water changes galore!

Arkmite

AC Members
Jul 15, 2017
Lots of water changes. Keep the water fresh as you can. Freshwater helps most things. Don't offer any food as it will just foul the water and the snail likely won't eat for a while anyway.

I would highly recommend in further treatments that you dissolve the tablets first and then add them to the water, I know the packet doesn't recommend it, but its the safest way to treat with those tablets.
20170715_225311.jpg 20170715_225256.jpg I gave a water change and now he's kind of hanging out of his shell but still trying to move. I dont think he can unroll though. I took a picture but im sorry the quality isn't very good.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
If he's in a jar he'll need water changed 2x daily minimum. What are the ingredients in the treatment you used?

Arkmite

AC Members
Jul 15, 2017
If he's in a jar he'll need water changed 2x daily minimum. What are the ingredients in the treatment you used?
It says the active ingredient is 1-chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone. An how much of a water change? I've been doing 50%

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
With no filtration a full change will be necessary, if you have an airstone I'd highly recommend adding that as well. There's a good chance the snail won't make it unfortunately.

Active Ingredient
1-Chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone

Note: Not suitable for scaleless fish, invertebrates, or newly setup aquariums. Use only as directed. DO NOT OVERDOSE. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. FOR AQUARIUM USE ONLY.
I'm assuming that has a decent amount of iodine in it, and likely copper as it is meant to treat external parasites. Euthanizing the snail may be the most humane thing at this point. . .

Reactions: myswtsins

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I agree with Tiff. At this point so much damage has been done and is most likely irreversible.

Arkmite

AC Members
Jul 15, 2017
With no filtration a full change will be necessary, if you have an airstone I'd highly recommend adding that as well. There's a good chance the snail won't make it unfortunately.

I'm assuming that has a decent amount of iodine in it, and likely copper as it is meant to treat external parasites. Euthanizing the snail may be the most humane thing at this point. . .
Oh. I don't have to step on him do I?

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Oh. I don't have to step on him do I?
I want to laugh at that, but I'm not sure if it is a joke. . . So, I'll say this:

The most humane way would be to put him in a bag with a bit of tank water and put it in the freezer. As the bag becomes cold he will become unconscious and then pass away. I would freeze him for at least a day to make sure he is truly gone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store