58g Planted w/overflow and sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
You know I don't often like long fins but your danios look great! As do you "freckled" plecos & cardinal!

It's sad to have our fish grow but at 8+ years old, you should be proud of your rummies longevity.
Thank you Nancy. For your nice comments and for always chiming in. :)

Danios are insane btw. Top feeders my butt, they try to run off with whole algae wafers! lol Poor plecos, between the danios and the amanos it's always a fight for food. Thinking the danios and maybe some plecos are going outside this year though....

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You are a tough fish mama, Jen! Danios maybe outside, but the freckle plecos too? EEK!

My leopard danios are also all over the tank strata, stealing my hillstream loaches' Repashy off the substrate, surface feeding, everywhere & anywhere! Even when they're full they still strike anything that might be food, including duckweed.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Why not the plecos outside? Just for the summer of course. I don't heat my tanks anyways and honestly the temp would be more stable and within range outside in the summer anyways cause it gets so hot up here. They'd have amazing algae to eat! Better than my metricide dosed aquarium. Add some wood and plecos caves, oh boy. But please if you think I shouldn't put them out let me know why. Just seemed doable in my mind lol.

Danios, yup, yup yup!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
OK, it's just that I've never had fish outdoors for any temp, but danios have a wider range of acceptable temps...& I love your freckle plecs.

Here night temps drop a LOT, a maybe 30- 40F* from day highs. It may be that I've lost the East Coast temp fluctuation thing (quite likely after almost 7 years in CA). But I worry...How big a tank/tub are we talking about?

You've probably done this kind of thing before & have a much better grip on the situation than I do. I'm confident my waterlily from you is fine with my wild temp swings but I wouldn't trust most fish...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would expect they would be fine outside
So long as you bring them in before overnight temps drop too much.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
OK, it's just that I've never had fish outdoors for any temp, but danios have a wider range of acceptable temps...& I love your freckle plecs.

Here night temps drop a LOT, a maybe 30- 40F* from day highs. It may be that I've lost the East Coast temp fluctuation thing (quite likely after almost 7 years in CA). But I worry...How big a tank/tub are we talking about?

You've probably done this kind of thing before & have a much better grip on the situation than I do. I'm confident my waterlily from you is fine with my wild temp swings but I wouldn't trust most fish...
I've never kept tropical fish outside, yet. Yes, we can have big swings too. The plecos would go out later and come in earlier for sure. Thinking either a 60g or 110g or both actually. I am certainly leary of putting the plecos out especially due to my inexperience but think they could benefit SO much. We'll see.

I would expect they would be fine outside
So long as you bring them in before overnight temps drop too much.
Thanks Gavin.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I know it's terribly short notice, and that you aren't the biggest fan of local aquarium clubs

But strongly consider going to NJAS on Saturday... Ted Coletti will be talking about summer tubs and such.. part of that will be the suitability of different fish to put outside.. he, or the crowd, may have something useful to add to your ideas.

If too short notice, really really really consider going to listen to Karen Randall next month... She's a great speaker, knows tons, and we will be there too.!

Maybe we could go for lunch beforehand

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I know it's terribly short notice, and that you aren't the biggest fan of local aquarium clubs

But strongly consider going to NJAS on Saturday... Ted Coletti will be talking about summer tubs and such.. part of that will be the suitability of different fish to put outside.. he, or the crowd, may have something useful to add to your ideas.

If too short notice, really really really consider going to listen to Karen Randall next month... She's a great speaker, knows tons, and we will be there too.!

Maybe we could go for lunch beforehand
Interesting. Any idea what time the meetings usually run till? I might be able to swing this Saturday since it's early and only about 40 mins away.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Where did these come from!?
IMG_4169.JPG IMG_4170.JPG IMG_4172.JPG

Since the roselines were doing fine in the 30g QT tank I decided to move them to the much much nicer 58g. They are even less skittish and love the overgrowth. They may go outside as well, no one panic.

Off - Topic!!
But I had to move them cause I needed the QT for well quarantine lol. Still hasn't become a display tank yet *pats self on back*. It's got some trapdoor snails for the pond. Only got 5 cause they are $4 each so I think I wanna try breeding them a bit before bringing them outside cause I do have racoons and stuff. I just love their algae!
IMG_4183.JPG

And I got a bonus baby!
IMG_4186.JPG

The local pond place I didn't buy these from I had called ahead of time asking if they had Trapdoor snails yet and they said yes. Well I show up and they are 4 for $11, awesome! Wait, that one's gold! Oh it's a mystery snails and so is that one and that one and so on. Every single one was mystery snails, even the ones that were covered in algae/muck. No one was around for me to talk to about it though. smh

End Off-topic-ness

Was walking by the tank today and was like..."what is going on here?"
IMG_4173.JPG
Apparently the best stuff is INSIDE the filter output lol S/He came out shortly after this shot and was bigger than I was expecting. BTW the output is I believe a 1" elbow so it was nowhere near stuck in there.
IMG_4177.JPG

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Interesting. Any idea what time the meetings usually run till? I might be able to swing this Saturday since it's early and only about 40 mins away.
I really don't pay much attention.. I think it's maybe 12:30 to 2:30/3:00pm for the speakers, and then the auction for maybe another hour ish

There's only the meeting next month we are making sure to attend, we have a conflict with a carnivorous plant meeting on saturday or we might try to go.

Hope it's worth the trip for you.. I don't know about putting stuff into the auction if you don't join.. but putting lilies in and other stuff you might have spare may pay for itself.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store