Newbie raising some fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TBear

AC Members
Aug 31, 2018
Hey, so just recently bought a tank, it’s a 37 gallon tall tank. I have heater, air pump, topfin 40 filter, two live lowlight plants, a fake decora rock, gravel substrate, two kissing gourami, 2 gold gourami, 3 Chinese algae eaters, and my other smaller tank is a 20 gallon, with 3 platys, 2 guppys, and 2 guppy fry. The 20 gallon been there over a month now so it’s doing well. In the early stages lost two molly, so was distressed about that, and got a bigger tank to do a better job. I have both tanks running now, the 20 gallon tank is doing fine, Fish are eating well, and pooping fine. The 37 gallon, my kissers are fine same with the AEs, but one of the golden gouramis is always on bottom of tank unless I come by than it swims normal, and had a clear long Pooh string that came off of it earlier today. Any suggestions for me and just caring for them, also what more to add would be great e.g shrimp etc. My water parameters are fine, I have a master test kit, and the 37 gallon was only not cycled enough. But ammonia and everything else was within parameters of being safe.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You say ammonia is within parameters, it should be zero. No ammonia. ,

TBear

AC Members
Aug 31, 2018
Ok, perfect. Was confused between ammonia and nitrate. Lol. My cycle is still going, so I’m doing regular WC to keep ammonia low for now. Just did a 50% an hour ago.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Do more water changes! If you are confused about ANY of your water parameters...just do more WCs. There needs to be NO nitrite or ammonia with fish in your tank. Get there as fast as you can, daily WCs & testing are the minimal safe thing to do...Do it!

Sorry, you are endangering your fish! It's a bit of work, but you can do it & help keep them safe. Think of it as exercise or whatever you need to make it work, right NOW!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Tbear, as you may have read, with a fish in cycle, you do daily water changes, such that you never see ammonia or nitrite. The only thing you should see, 6 weeks down the road are nitrates. This is why you may read of a fish-in cycle being referred to as a "silent cycle".

Reactions: TBear

TBear

AC Members
Aug 31, 2018
I see. Makes more sense, yeah I saw different forums all saying either daily or every other day.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, just to disagree with FF, I think of a "silent cycle" as having wall to wall plants...to the point there is no ammonia or nitrites the plants don't use up in 24 hours or so, not just a couple.

To reiterate, water changes!

TBear

AC Members
Aug 31, 2018
Now, my main question is, I have a Home water filter it removes about 96% of chlorine from my tap water in all my house. How should I treat this with the water conditioner when doing WCs?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Now, my main question is, I have a Home water filter it removes about 96% of chlorine from my tap water in all my house. How should I treat this with the water conditioner when doing WCs?
It's possible your system removes enough of your tap water disinfectant as is, but I'm not sure I'd trust that 96% figure 100% of the time..

I use mostly Seachem Prime or Seachem Safe which is a granular form. It removes chlorine and can temporarily neutralize ammonia, nitrite and other components.

When I do a water change on my tanks I tend to do ~50-80% changes. Before I refill, I treat for the full volume of the tank, then refill with untreated tap water. The stuff works instantly as the tap water is filling.

Reactions: fishorama
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store