Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie raising some fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by TBear, Aug 31, 2018.

1. TBear

TBear AC Members

Nov 5, 2018
    Hey, so just recently bought a tank, it’s a 37 gallon tall tank. I have heater, air pump, topfin 40 filter, two live lowlight plants, a fake decora rock, gravel substrate, two kissing gourami, 2 gold gourami, 3 Chinese algae eaters, and my other smaller tank is a 20 gallon, with 3 platys, 2 guppys, and 2 guppy fry. The 20 gallon been there over a month now so it’s doing well. In the early stages lost two molly, so was distressed about that, and got a bigger tank to do a better job. I have both tanks running now, the 20 gallon tank is doing fine, Fish are eating well, and pooping fine. The 37 gallon, my kissers are fine same with the AEs, but one of the golden gouramis is always on bottom of tank unless I come by than it swims normal, and had a clear long Pooh string that came off of it earlier today. Any suggestions for me and just caring for them, also what more to add would be great e.g shrimp etc. My water parameters are fine, I have a master test kit, and the 37 gallon was only not cycled enough. But ammonia and everything else was within parameters of being safe.

2. tanker

tanker Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!

Jessica
    Tuesday at 11:09 PM
    Jessica
    You say ammonia is within parameters, it should be zero. No ammonia. ,

3. TBear

TBear AC Members

Nov 5, 2018
    Ok, perfect. Was confused between ammonia and nitrate. Lol. My cycle is still going, so I’m doing regular WC to keep ammonia low for now. Just did a 50% an hour ago.

4. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 12:38 AM
    Do more water changes! If you are confused about ANY of your water parameters...just do more WCs. There needs to be NO nitrite or ammonia with fish in your tank. Get there as fast as you can, daily WCs & testing are the minimal safe thing to do...Do it!

Sorry, you are endangering your fish! It's a bit of work, but you can do it & help keep them safe. Think of it as exercise or whatever you need to make it work, right NOW!

5. TBear

TBear AC Members

Nov 5, 2018
    Yeah, gonna do tests daily to keep a watch on it. Thanks

6. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Monday at 7:26 PM
    Joel
    Tbear, as you may have read, with a fish in cycle, you do daily water changes, such that you never see ammonia or nitrite. The only thing you should see, 6 weeks down the road are nitrates. This is why you may read of a fish-in cycle being referred to as a "silent cycle".

TBear likes this.
  7. TBear

TBear AC Members

Nov 5, 2018
    I see. Makes more sense, yeah I saw different forums all saying either daily or every other day.

8. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 12:38 AM
    Well, just to disagree with FF, I think of a "silent cycle" as having wall to wall plants...to the point there is no ammonia or nitrites the plants don't use up in 24 hours or so, not just a couple.

To reiterate, water changes!

9. TBear

TBear AC Members

Nov 5, 2018
    Now, my main question is, I have a Home water filter it removes about 96% of chlorine from my tap water in all my house. How should I treat this with the water conditioner when doing WCs?

10. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Monday at 7:26 PM
    Joel
    It's possible your system removes enough of your tap water disinfectant as is, but I'm not sure I'd trust that 96% figure 100% of the time..

I use mostly Seachem Prime or Seachem Safe which is a granular form. It removes chlorine and can temporarily neutralize ammonia, nitrite and other components.

When I do a water change on my tanks I tend to do ~50-80% changes. Before I refill, I treat for the full volume of the tank, then refill with untreated tap water. The stuff works instantly as the tap water is filling.

fishorama likes this.