New 40 gallon stocking help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Hey guys, it's been a while since i've been back here! But this time i'm asking for help for my sister's 40 gallon tank instead of my own. She knows for sure that she wants green tiger barbs and wants to build the rest of the stocking based on that. First, how many barbs do you guys suggest for a 40 gallon breeder? And what other fish could be put with them? She's really interested in loaches, but i'm not sure if there are any that are small enough for a 40 and compatible with the barbs?

The tank will also be heavily planted, probably around the mid 70's temperature wise and about 7-7.2 ph. Unsure about what our water's hardness is but we have driftwood and catappa leaves we will be putting in anyway that could help soften the water if we need to.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm going to suggest either sidthimunkis (dwarf chain loaches), zebra loaches or even kubotais. But any much bigger loaches will have possible issues in a smallish tank with tiger barbs...or any other fish.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I'm going to suggest either sidthimunkis (dwarf chain loaches), zebra loaches or even kubotais. But any much bigger loaches will have possible issues in a smallish tank with tiger barbs...or any other fish.
Yeah i was feeling the same way, kinda iffy about other fish going with those barbs. If loaches won't work, i think she's willing to go with cories too, they should fare better being bottom dwellers right? And Whats the largest school of barbs you'd be comfortable putting in this size tank?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm going to "guess" 10 or 12 barbs & 8 or12 bottoms feeders, loaches as above or corys...& call it stocked. I've never kept a "breeder" tank but if she goes with kubotai maybe only 6-8 bottom fish & 8-10 barbs ...really, less is often better, lesser stocking is much easier to maintain IME

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I'm going to "guess" 10 or 12 barbs & 8 or12 bottoms feeders, loaches as above or corys...& call it stocked. I've never kept a "breeder" tank but if she goes with kubotai maybe only 6-8 bottom fish & 8-10 barbs ...really, less is often better, lesser stocking is much easier to maintain IME
Ok she seems to really like the kubotais and zebra loaches the most. Which of those stay smaller?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Zebra loaches are smaller & quite cute, 8-12 OR 6 or 8 kubotai. I haven't kept kubs yet, they're on my short, next list; too many cute loaches, not enough tank space...but soon...

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Zebra loaches are smaller & quite cute, 8-12 OR 6 or 8 kubotai. I haven't kept kubs yet, they're on my short, next list; too many cute loaches, not enough tank space...but soon...
Alright cool, just so we're on the same page, these are the zebra loaches you mean right? Sometimes the common names can mean many different species you know?

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, those are zebra botia. Aren't they cute? A tiny bit shy but oh so wonderful! I had 6 (alI I could get at the time) in a 75g with sidthimunkis (dwarf chain loaches) & 2 species of rasboras. Mine never got much more than 3+ inches, although I've seen them ~4+ inches. A perfect size for a 40g breeder tank. Encourage your sister to try this combo, I think she'll enjoy them, loaches are fun!

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
Yes, those are zebra botia. Aren't they cute? A tiny bit shy but oh so wonderful! I had 6 (alI I could get at the time) in a 75g with sidthimunkis (dwarf chain loaches) & 2 species of rasboras. Mine never got much more than 3+ inches, although I've seen them ~4+ inches. A perfect size for a 40g breeder tank. Encourage your sister to try this combo, I think she'll enjoy them, loaches are fun!
Yes they're wonderful! We saw these guys at the lfs when we were scouting out some potential fish options and they were all so cute. My sister is definitely content with this stocking, she loves both these fish too. Another quick question though if you don't mind. Are nerites a bad idea with the loaches? And amanos too, would they be ok?

Reactions: FreshyFresh

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I haven't kept shrimp with any loaches but kuhlis (cherry shrimp). They might have eaten small shrimplets but there were lots. I had only pesty pond snails & MTS & there were empty shells, often. They might harass a nerite or amanos, it seems like it would be too risky for either. Sorry

Reactions: authmal
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store