H2O2 has a problem!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HugoFish

AC Members
Sep 11, 2019
Albania
Real Name
Gleis
BBA was getting a bit out of control so i decidet to try H2O2 for the first time in my tank.Removed all the fishes and applyed 15ml or 4 teaspoons for my 10gallon tank.The problem is that i waited 20 min and nothing happend , no bubbles nothing...
Think that the problem must be the hydrogen peroxide , cause its not concentrated(look at the ingredients).
Should i buy a new one or what?15768621837059129006665759752779.jpg

15768622212343458965011795239923.jpg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
How recently did you first open this bottle?

That can have an effect on its efficacy

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
You can also try filling a syringe with the H2O2 and squirting it directly on the BBA. The expiration date looks good but as dougall mentioned, an opened bottle may be the problem.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
20 minutes doesn't seem very long to see any effect on the bba. If I remember it can take days for it to turn red (dead). It been a really long time since I used it & only as a plant dip I think.

3% is the standard otc strength. You don't want stronger.

HugoFish

AC Members
Sep 11, 2019
Albania
Real Name
Gleis
I opened it like a month ago so it's not old.I spread H2O2 with syringe directly in BBA.When i read a forum it sad to keep the H2O2 for 15 -20 min in the tank and than do a 50% water change.
So thats what i did.
What is the correct amount to apply and the correct time to keep the hydrogen peroxide in the tank?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep. Agreed that it can take days before you see an effect on the BBA

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How mouch time should i keep it in my tank and later make a water change???
What I was getting at is, once you treat with BBA with H2O2, then do your water changes and keep the tank running as normal, it can take some time before you notice the BBA die off.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I am not a fan od adding peroxide to a tank for any reason. I would never do it with fish present.

First what happens to peroxide when you pout it into water?

Hydrogen peroxide is a very pale blue liquid at room temperature. A French scientist called Louis Auguste Thenard discovered the compound in 1818. Hydrogen peroxide can easily break down, or decompose, into water and oxygen by breaking up into two very reactive parts – either 2OHs or an H and HO2:

If there are no other molecules to react with, the parts will form water and oxygen gas as these are more stable than the original molecule, H2O2. The reaction happens slowly while hydrogen peroxide is stored, because unevenness in the container’s surface can help to split the molecule – one part gets stuck to the surface while the other part pulls away. So, before too long, a bottle of hydrogen peroxide will react to form water! This is why every bottle of hydrogen peroxide has a hole or vent in the cap to allow oxygen gas to escape.
from https://www.rsc.org/Education/Teachers/Resources/Contemporary/student/pop_peroxide.html

Next, there are a number of ways to deal with BGA. A single dose of an antibiotuic usually kills it. But you still need to address the cause (Usually poor circulation, but it may also be a lack of nitrate in the water.) Have a read here https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23-algae/68793-bba-bga-causes-treatments.html

I have battled BGA in the past, but not for many years now. When it was a really bad case, I hit it with the tripple whammy:
1. Manually remove as much of the BGA as you can. An airline siphon wworks well to suck it off things.
2. Dose Erythromycin once. Contrary to what the linked article states, a single dose of EM will not kill off the bacteria which gains protection form the biofilm in which it lives. Also a single dose is not the same a s full treatment with antibiotics which can last 5 -7 days and may required 2 full rounds.
2. Black out the tank for 5 days. That mean no light at all.

When done, be sure to increase the circulation in the tank. Also, monitor nitrate levels. Planted tanks can have 0 nitrates right befor a weekly water change. This indicates you may need to add some nitrate during the week and/or after a water change.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I've used peroxide on occasion and I squirted it directly in the bba tufts, as much as possible, not using more than 2mm per gallon of water.
I never bothered with a water change after. I think it quickly dissapates but I never dosed more than once per day.
I have never had an adverse reaction with fish, but if too much is used, it can melt some plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store