125 gallon planted project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
The rest of the plants arrived (and the fish have since moved in).
IMG_20210125_201324058.jpg
The two bristlenose plecos.
IMG_20210125_201516082.jpg
The (blurry) rainbow and danio.
IMG_20210125_201339697.jpgIMG_20210125_201346459.jpg
Shot of some of the salvinia, impossible to see unless you open the lid or look from below.
IMG_20210125_201421786.jpg

Gave everything a root tab so now it's but a waiting game to see what happens. Once I'm absolutely certain things are established both on a flora and bacterial level (about a couple weeks or so) the fish populating can begin.

Reactions: Strongarm

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
The rest of the plants arrived (and the fish have since moved in).
View attachment 228936
The two bristlenose plecos.
View attachment 228937
The (blurry) rainbow and danio.
View attachment 228938View attachment 228939
Shot of some of the salvinia, impossible to see unless you open the lid or look from below.
View attachment 228940

Gave everything a root tab so now it's but a waiting game to see what happens. Once I'm absolutely certain things are established both on a flora and bacterial level (about a couple weeks or so) the fish populating can begin.
Man that looks pretty good :D, what fish do you have planned for this tank?

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
Man that looks pretty good :D, what fish do you have planned for this tank?
Thank you. ?

The base blueprint is all South American species (ignoring two of the tag-alongs obviously, they're in their twilight years and I didn't have the heart to rehome them). Have a general idea but the specifics are still being researched.

The main dominating plan is a big mixed shoal of neon or cardinal tetras with black neon tetras, over a dozen strong for each species.

Then a shoal of corydoras for the bottom, thinking pandas.

Hatchets for the top. Would prefer marbles but silver would be fine if I can't find them (silver seems to be more common).

And, something for a centerpiece species. Still haven't fully decided but my list has narrowed down to some type of small cichlid such as a type of apisto.

Rams would be another option but I'm hesitant as I'm aware of their difficulty in care (had some years ago when I was less experienced and they didn't last long). Though I've heard Bolivians aren't as frail as Germans.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Good choices, I don't consider the Ramirezi a difficult fish to keep, but it requires warmer water. Just make sure you have species that can adapt to the environment the rams prefers, if you decide to use it as a centerpiece of the tank.

Snagrio

AC Members
Dec 15, 2020
Good choices, I don't consider the Ramirezi a difficult fish to keep, but it requires warmer water. Just make sure you have species that can adapt to the environment the rams prefers, if you decide to use it as a centerpiece of the tank.
That's just the problem. Based on my research both the neons and especially the cories prefer cooler temps than what rams demand (I have the tank at 76, rams want 80+).

By my estimations the best bet will be an apisto species. Cacatuoides or agassizi would be "default" choices but others like panduro or baenschi have been catching my eye.

While on the subject though, is this time of year an "off season" when it comes to fish availability? No matter where I look online it's like everything except the most common fish species in general are sold out en masse. Not a big issue as, again, I'm waiting a bit before even adding anything, just curious.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
That's just the problem. Based on my research both the neons and especially the cories prefer cooler temps than what rams demand (I have the tank at 76, rams want 80+).

By my estimations the best bet will be an apisto species. Cacatuoides or agassizi would be "default" choices but others like panduro or baenschi have been catching my eye.

While on the subject though, is this time of year an "off season" when it comes to fish availability? No matter where I look online it's like everything except the most common fish species in general are sold out en masse. Not a big issue as, again, I'm waiting a bit before even adding anything, just curious.
It is at least in Mexico, here fish imports stop at the end of December and resume in mid-January, I guess it's about 3 weeks, I'm not sure if it is the same in other places but it may be that it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store