58g Planted w/overflow and sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I'm pretty sure if you put it on a timer when it comes back on it defaults to 6am so you could have it off completely at night, at least that's what I read about the finnex. That is what I was going to do if I didn't like the fact that the fish never get complete darkness. Next option is to get a fancy controller.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I honestly thought it defaulted to the last level it was at at a constant... But I honestly have never tried.

I honestly think I will be leaning towards a fancy controller, but that just makes it a bigger decision to what will give the same sort of control over the spectrum, I would rather only change 1 more time.

But I am open to suggestions too. Perhaps I might end up going the DIY route... In my spare time.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Well give it a try. Unplug it at the peak lights and see if it goes back to morning lights. I'm gonna do it to mine right now!..... Mine went back to like a midnight setting, boo.

What is this spare time you speak of!?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Turned off, and back on..

It seems to be back where it was timewise, going to go out to the movies and come back and see what it's doing.

Hopefully it's not to bright to sleep tonight.. I already set the time ahead by 3 hours so I can get to sleep.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Did you turn if off or unplug it? I think that makes a difference. Have fun at the movies!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Turned off at the electrical outlet... Not using the remote.

I have a 11ish gallon cube tank to set up soon... I currently have a kessil light to use on it, but I think I am going to want to try a controller for it, to at least up and down... Just not sure if it would make sense to built a light with a controller from scratch or not... Perhaps I should get reading.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Gee, you guys are making me not want to try LEDs. I was hoping the purple effect was only in pics, but I've seen some peoples tanks look...well too, too for me. I know there are different color blends but even the DIYs look, meh, or worse. Healthy plants or strange looking tank, you're no helping, lol.

Jen, do you really swim with fishes? You little mermaid!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
There are differing kinds...

But some have variable spectrums, like these do, and the spectrum will change in CRO through the day on the automatic timer... If you want something that will turn on and off on a timer like T5s or such, they will do it.

I would be happy with all tanks running LEDs... Not just because of power usage debates. I think we have 4 tanks to convert... And there may be enough lights to handle that, I'm just lazy.

But really, they are well worth it.. I am not sure of any that will be too red or too purple that you cannot change and/or just run on a normal timer.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Well give it a try. Unplug it at the peak lights and see if it goes back to morning lights. I'm gonna do it to mine right now!..... Mine went back to like a midnight setting, boo.

What is this spare time you speak of!?
It actually was brighter when we got home... So you may be right. Perhaps I will hook another timer up to it again tomorrow or at the weekend.

I will likely have to owe you one... What that may be will depend on if it decides to wake me up in the middle of the night :)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Gee, you guys are making me not want to try LEDs. I was hoping the purple effect was only in pics, but I've seen some peoples tanks look...well too, too for me. I know there are different color blends but even the DIYs look, meh, or worse. Healthy plants or strange looking tank, you're no helping, lol.

Jen, do you really swim with fishes? You little mermaid!
If you want to know a bit more about LED technology, and know someone with access to the 2015 AGA videos (they may be streaming soon for members) there was a good talk buy the guy from BML who explained a bunch of it. But basically the technology has got better, making the colors easier to show, and being variable you can control it.

The red is part of the default cycle of the finnex 24/7 light (at least the first revision) I do kind of like it, and it sure doesn't stay like that all the time!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store