58g Planted w/overflow and sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Oh I love these lights! I personally think the 24/7 cycle is just wonderful, I love seeing all the different colors come and go but if you don't you can change it to any color you like and run it on a timer. Right now the lights are pretty low but I can still see everything and the colors are great. I like my other cheapo LEDs too but they aren't controllable so what ya get is what ya get, perfectly fine though IMO. I haven't even tried an expensive brand yet either.

Actually yes I do swim with fish in my 5k pond so it would be even better is the 10k pool! :D

Hope it works out for you Gavin. ;)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Ugh, after trying to start it back on it's time last night at 11, it doesn't seem to have changed.

I'm really not enamoured of getting these lights to work... still going to try out the timer for tomorrow... but meh.. son't worry too much if a replacement happens to come and smack me in the face either.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
So my QT time is pushed forward a little sooner then I would normally do cause other fish need the QT tank. So it will be 4 weeks for the first batch, 3 weeks for the second but still I think it is long enough considering they seem to be in such great health. I was watching REALLY closely for ich in particular cause I know mollys are known it that.

Now the question is do I move them directly into the 58g where I have several berried RCS that are only about a week in so another couple weeks till the babies are even born, then they have to grow up to be non-eating size blah blah. Or do I chance putting them into the 29g for awhile? For anyone not following along (everyone but Nancy and Gavin) the 29g seems to have an ill effect on my shrimp but I haven't tried fish yet. They could be my test fish and it would almost be an extended QT and protect some more RCS (since their numbers are still rebounding). Doing this tomorrow so be quick! :)

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Time's up! I put the mollies into the 29g. Been about an hr and they seem just fine, racing over begging for food when they see me like usual. They look pretty nice in a planted tank! Babies look good too, still in the breeder box though. I want to do something else with them, maybe make a new bigger "box" cause my old one went outside for awhile and got brittle. I just "sew" some of that plastic mesh canvas stuff together. Maybe setup my 5.5 but that's rimless and I need a good spot for it and all my small HOBs are broken and I don't have another sponge filter seeded blah blah blah. See why they are still in the breeder box? lol

SO I have only fish in my "shrimp" tank and only shrimp (and snails) in my "fish" tank, yeah everything makes perfect sense! My plan if I can not get the 29g invert safe (if it is fish safe) is to setup another tank for the shrimp but go basic breeding type setup. Then I can reclaim this tank as a fish tank. :)

I put a little bit of hair algae covered moss from the 29g into the 58g to see if the amanos would clean it up. Well they went crazy when I put it in but were on the clip not the moss but the moss is algae free now. I didn't see them do it so it could just be the tank killed it (metricide really) or they just ate it when I wasn't looking. *shrug* But I have mollies in the 29g now and they are known to eat hair algae, fingers crossed!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, whatever ate the hair algae, good show! That's 1 of my "moss hates" (& trapping crud & spreading out of control are some others).

I think there must have been copper or something bad for inverts used in your 29g. I'm betting the mollies or other fish will be fine. Yeah, you need another tank for inverts, lol.

While you're sewing mesh for molly fry you should make a little top flap & clip so they can't jump out of your topless 5.5g or 29g. Maybe just an airstone & lots of water changes? How many fry?

I was looking for how to tell C. nurii's apart & saw "mutated" doesn't like Excel. Is that your experience or is that in a different tank?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I have 6 fry.

I use metricide in this tank and my Nurii is quite happy. I do not think it is the mutated variety but not really sure either.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I will have some updated FTSs soon. I thinned out the crypts a bit and shared them with a couple members here so tank will look a little different...maybe naked. Not really.

Well someone had babies! I just looked over at the tank and saw a baby RCS swimming mid-water. He headed to the little piece of moss I put in there and upon further inspection I found 2 more there! They have to be from 2 different shrimp though cause one is twice the size of the others. I tried my best to get pictures I'm rushing around trying to pack so couldn't spend too much time there.
IMG_3521-1.jpg IMG_3520-1.jpg

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks!

It's a clip with a suction cup. It is just holding the moss atm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store