Baby update

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Possibly, he seems to be able to dart up and kinda bop around side to side but he always goes back to the bottom...

If that's it, is it fixable?

Watched the inches for a while... the one with the blood in his tail was being picked on... I probably made a bad choice by putting him inthe small part of the pond because of risk of infection, but I really had no other choice. he would have eaten the newborns and probably have picked on the smaller ones. I just hope the inches don't start picking on someone else.
Pond types seldom get buoyancy issues but if they have not been eating floating foods or foods with too much starch, then this is down to genetics and is seldom fixed.

Tastey

AC Members
May 29, 2009
well my bad swimmer died. tis ok. I do have another that looks as though it might die soon... he has little to no tail fin. no it wasn't eaten off by other fish, just a genitic defect. Seems as though his swim bladder might be going out of whack. the other fish seem to be doing well.

Cleaned the pond over the weekend... my 2 babies I put in there look like they're doing well. They're still alive so that's good. lol. They must be avoiding the big fish really well. A few more might be going into the pond soon. we'll see...

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
What are the parms. in the GO tank?

Tastey

AC Members
May 29, 2009
grrrr..... I just had a ton typed up and accidentally deleted it!!! rawr!

20 gal ~ Newborns... No stones, No decorations, No filter, Pond plant, 2 Bubblers

10 gal ~ -1"... Stones, Decorations, Filter, Plant bulb

5 gal ~ 1"+... Stones, Decorations, Filter

All tanks and pond have tap water, no additives. Supposidly, our town has the best water in the area. The fish seem to enjoy it.

Tastey

AC Members
May 29, 2009
oh yeah, my bad swimmer in the 5 gal tank with the possible swim bladder problem is all better. I found a website that said to feed them peas cause if it's not genetic it's probably just constipation. Well i was watching him and nothing was ever coming out the other end so i gave him peas and he seems to swim fine now. well, as fine as he can swim with the lack of tail fin. he does a pretty good job though, he's a fighter.

There are 4 babies in the pond. I cleaned it again today cause we got some barley straw packets to try. we'll see how that goes. We're hoping the pet store has a sale on the uv filters in the fall or winter cause of it being the off season.

there was supposed to be a fifth baby in the pond but it was the one that was being picked at so the other fish probably knew it was wounded and ate it. i didn't find any trace of it so i'm just assuming that's what happened.

the other babies are doing great. there's one visibly larger newborn in the 20 gal tank. I think he was from the first tiny batch.... maybe the only survivor.

Mid size ones are doing well too. one got stuck to the filter the other day... must not have been ver smart. oh well, it is survival of the fittest ya know.

well that's it for now.

Tastey

AC Members
May 29, 2009
I'm a sucker... Got 2 more tanks at a yard sale to spread my babies out in... now I'll be able to empty the 20 gal for the big babies first winter.... I'm not sure if they'll make it out in the pond so I'm gonna bring them in now that I have the room. The adults can stay out there cause I know they'll be fine. I'll have to get more pics soon! The babies are getting big!

LiL GinGeR

AC Members
Aug 21, 2009
Midlands, England, UK
Real Name
Katie
good luck i have 3week old and 2 day old goldfish and shubunkin fry. update please!!

Tastey

AC Members
May 29, 2009
I have a more recent update a little bit farther down from this one with a couple pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store