Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Betta Fish, possible fin rot? Need help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by Reya, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Reya

Reya AC Members

Jan 23, 2018
    I went to have my water tested today and these were the results:
    0 Nitrates
    3.0 Nitrites
    0 Total Hardness
    0 Chlorine
    0 Total Alkalinity
    6.2-6.8 pH

I use Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus for water changes. I don't have a vacuum to clean out my tank atm, I do it by hand, so I don't clean the bottom, as I'm not sure how to without doing a complete water change. I'm planning on ordering one soon though.

I had no idea it was bad food, thank you very much for letting me know. I've now bought him New Life Spectrum Betta Formula and will feed him that from now on.

From what I can tell there's no way to adjust the flow, or even turn it on and off. It's either plugged in and running or unplugged and off. I can't take a picture at the moment but the filter has a square hole in the front, a bit above the water line, that the out flowing water falls out of and directly into the tank, a bit like a mini waterfall.

I performed a water change Friday and once again today, he's still very active. He hasn't acted any differently since I noticed the issue, he doesn't lay on the floor and he eats well.

I bought Stability by Seachem for the Nitrites and added some to his tank today, along with Melafix by API.

2. Rbishop

Rbishop ...and over the edge.
    Staff Member

Mr. Normal
    Today at 3:59 PM
    Mr. Normal
    You can use a piece of airline tubing to be a mini-vacuum and siphon items off the bottom. The small diameter will keep the water level from lowering to fast.

3. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 6:45 PM
    Keep up with daily or a least every other day large water changes. ANY nitrite can cause "brown blood disease". Get it to 0 as fast as you reasonably can, 3 is very high! Even .25 can cause damage.

4. myswtsins

myswtsins Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Jen
    Today at 1:39 PM
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    I agree with Rbishop and fishorama, said what I was gonna say. :)

Where did you get your water tested and by which method that they gave such a wide range for pH?

Keep up the good work!

5. Reya

Reya AC Members

Jan 23, 2018
    I got it tested at a fish store by me. They used a test strip and the color it turned was a bit inbetween those two ranges so it was hard to tell exactly where it's at.

6. Reya

Reya AC Members

Jan 23, 2018
    After doing a 50% water change last Friday and cleaning the gunk on the marbles at the bottom of his tank I retested the water today.

The Nitrites are now at zero and the Ph is at 6.8. Everything else stayed at zero.

While the water has improved, my betta has not. He is still active, but he's lost more of his tail fin. I suspect his top fin may have melt as well. At this point what should I do? Is there a better medication I should buy?

I have been giving him Melafix for ten days, but the rot does not seem to be stopping.

7. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 6:45 PM
    Way to go fixing your water parameters so fast, good show!

I think it's time for an antibiotic but I rarely use them so don't have an exact suggestion. Look for 1 that says it treats fin rot & follow the directions for dosing & water changes.

You will have to do a bit of guesstimating for a 3g tank, the usual dosage is drug amount/10g. Not super hard, put the powder on a sheet of paper & with a knife or razor blade divide as best you can. Go a bit smaller than thirds & you'll be close. You can save the extra bit for part of the fourth round. I believe most antibiotics are given over at least a week or 10 days, often every other day. Again, follow the directions!

Good luck!