BN SEX?+ CONDITIONING

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
LOL! Now that they've started, you can expect another spawn in about 5 weeks. You'll have em everywhere!

ESOXLUCIOUSS

AC Members
Nov 19, 2005
Dublin Ireland
I am looking forward to it, most of the lfs dont carry bn's, therefore most of the guys and gals i know that keep fish have common plecs, that dont suit their set ups, so they will be getting some of mine i hope.

Bad news though the female appisto eyes are starting to bulge slightly like the last male i had and she cannot swallow,,, looks bad.. any ideas

ESOXLUCIOUSS

AC Members
Nov 19, 2005
Dublin Ireland
last night just before lights out one of the harlequins swan directly to an area, in behind a rock and the glass thee it was ....so small yet a bn baby, have saved him and put it in a livebearer floating hatcher for the moment, no others have left the cave and i havent seen daddy for he last few days... is it time to investigate, 2 tanks will be cycled by thursday two 54litres...will i wait till then ..????

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Sometimes they get out by accident. With my longfins, it's even easier for dad to accidently sweep a baby or two out to the entrance as he is doing cave maintenance or eating eggs that weren't fertile. It's gotten to be a regular occurrence in my tanks so now I lift the whole cave.....dad, hatched babies, and water....and set it into my 10G shrimp/cory fry tank until they are old enough to come out and eat. Then I give dad the boot into a net and back to his regular tank he goes. Brand new pleco fry are delicacies even for my small embers, so I don't take a chance on them becoming snacks.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
He wouldn't allow her to go in. Not even a snail will get by papa.

ESOXLUCIOUSS

AC Members
Nov 19, 2005
Dublin Ireland
god they are really protective. Still no sign of the babies just the one baby so far... spotted hydra in th tank yesterday, but afraid of treating with Fenbendazole with fry in the tank

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
I would hold off on the fenben treatment, you're going to be moving them out soon. We can calculate they probably hatched around the 10th. I would think you'd start seeing them around the 18th or 19th. They don't rush out of the cave, that's for sure. They eat the biofilm that continuously forms in the cave surfaces. The plecos I have now seem to keep the fry in the cave too long. When about 9 days have gone by since hatching day, and papa is still keeping them in, I intervene. There was already a difference in size with the couple that had gotten out vs. the ones still in the cave. So I boot papa. He's not feeding them, just protecting them. And I have a mini-mag that stays by their tanks so I can look in the cave when I want to to see what's going on. I purposely position the caves so I can be a peeping mom.

ESOXLUCIOUSS

AC Members
Nov 19, 2005
Dublin Ireland
update, no pics yet

My daddy bn still on nest 1 baby escaped the cave and have him in a breeder tank, waiting for the dad to come out but no sign of him leaving cave, he seems to clean the cave out at night...good parents..
Yes i think it time to have a proper look,,, tank is cycling but can put them in a fry trap for a day or two..
Would that be ok..

Thanks for all the help guys

ESOXLUCIOUSS

AC Members
Nov 19, 2005
Dublin Ireland
Decided to leave well enough alone for a day or two.

baby no. 2 seen and transfereed today, just 2 more days till i move the lot to their new home...

just 2 days and i can see what sort of clutch we have. Bbaies look thin so i might put some carrot into the cave, two babys in breeder trap were starving straight onto the carrot,, thanks bob for the advice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store